Paint Peeling Advice

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Paint Peeling Advice

Postby holmesgl on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:59 pm

New poster here, hoping you all can help me!

My family has a 1914 Pennsylvania Railroad caboose. We finished a top to bottom restoration of the thing back in 2014, and we are now having significant issues with paint peeling.

The following link should link to a few photos of our problem (I hope):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lQW852CMiQwPttV62

I can't recall the product brands we actually used off the top of my head, but I know for certain we used a latex primer and an oil-based topcoat (I'm suspicious that's our problem). I voiced skepticism of the choice to go latex under oil at the time, but was overruled by the actual caboose owner (Grandpa).

Do you guys have any recommendations how to proceed from here? I certainly don't think we should have to scrape and repaint the thing every three years.
holmesgl

Re: Paint Peeling Advice

Postby doughty12 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:50 am

I can't give a solid advice right now but mostly exterior paint blisters are the reason peeling paint, which may appear suddenly or maybe gradually after painting. When it occurs, let the paint dry, then cut each blister & remove the peeling paint. If you see the plaster or stucco after removing paint, the problem was most probably be caused by the moisture trapped inside wall; if you see a previous coat of paint, the problem maybe resulted from applying topcoat before the undercoat has completely dried.

Mostly peeling paint is likely the culprit of improper preparations. Just remember always: prep, prime, & then paint.
doughty12

Return to General Discussions Forum