dcsimg

Family Farmhouse 1870 Craftsman Bungalow

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Family Farmhouse 1870 Craftsman Bungalow

Postby WillK on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Hello everyone,

A few years back, my parents bought back the family farmhouse in Ohio which was built by an ancestor in 1870. It is a 4 bedroom house with a basement with stone exterior walls and wooden shake siding on dormers, there are front and rear additions which seem to have been built on after the original construction. One thing I absorbed from what I've been told about the house is that it has evolved throughout the years. It was sold by my great grandmother when my great grandfather passed away. My grandfather did grow up in the house but had bought his own house nearby in Ohio and moved to the northern suburbs of Detroit in the '50's.

Unfortunately, my father recently passed away. The farmland was divided up and other houses built on the street, my mom lives 2 houses over and will most likely rent the farmhouse so we can keep it in the family.

This means a renovation project needs to be undertaken as the second floor bathroom has a shower stall in bad shape, and my mom wants a bathtub instead... Meaning I will need to undertake the project, and it will involve moving walls. I've discussed this some with my mom, and my dad had bought a jetted tub, but I suggested a freestanding claw foot tub would be more stylistically appropriate. Of course, the style when the house was originally built would have been to have an outhouse and that's not an option.

I've got plenty of experience working with balloon framed houses of my own, but I'm anticipating this will be a whole other animal. I'm here hoping that I can find resources and support as I begin contemplating this endeavor.
WillK

Re: Family Farmhouse 1870 Craftsman Bungalow

Postby cynthiaSullivan on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:42 am

There is a great deal of work waiting ahead of you! Usually when you are moving walls you notice how much more you should do when houses are that old. Hope you will keep with the project and in case you have questions about plumbing and bathtub installing - I can help.
Will I finally do my essay today?
cynthiaSullivan

Re: Family Farmhouse 1870 Craftsman Bungalow

Postby lfinger on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:15 pm

So, where's some pix??? I'm dying to see it....
lfinger

Return to General Discussions Forum