dcsimg

Painting house numbers on transom window

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Painting house numbers on transom window

Postby z3braman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:34 am

I am attempting to paint my house numbers on my transom window. I made some stenciled numbers from a sheet of paper and ordered some paint from an online store. I have seen since then a recommendation to get gold paint from Japan. Have not researched that yet.
I might even redo my stencil to prevent seepage underneath. I'm thinking about taping the window and cutting the tape to form the stencil so that it sticks around the perimeter of the numbers.
Attachments
IMG_7113.jpg
IMG_7113.jpg (59.21 KiB) Viewed 420 times
z3braman

Re: Painting house numbers on transom window

Postby doughty12 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:06 am

Here are my few cents.

First of all, think about the design or writing style/font in your case.Do sketch it on a paper & plan the colors & shapes you want to use.Trace the outline of the designed shape on the glass using the leading.And don’t worry if about mistakes while using the leading because it's easy to wipe it off. Normal paint won’t dry that clear, you'll need to fill the shapes with some special transparent colored paint.

Also, I have heard that using the vaseline outside the design area won't let the paint dry so you can easily wipe it off then.
doughty12

Postby marksmith » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:54 am

Hi,
Brilliant idea.
I will definitely try this,
Thanks!!
marksmith

Postby Geraldine » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:17 am

Hey, I too liked the idea! Will try it soon as we are planning to renovate the house.
Geraldine

Return to General Discussions Forum