dcsimg

Different trim upstairs and downstairs

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Different trim upstairs and downstairs

Postby gadolphus on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:18 pm

The door and window trim in my house, built in 1910, is very different upstairs and downstairs. The color of the stain that they used between the two floors was very different, too. Downstairs is an earthy brown; upstairs is almost a Black Forest color.

The exception is the kitchen, which is located downstairs but whose trim matches the upstairs trim. (The kitchen has been painted, but by all indications it was originally stained the same color as upstairs, and the trim style is identical to upstairs.)

On top of all of this, the partially finished attic, which has one bedroom and a few large closets (all original to the house, as far as I can tell), is stained the same color as downstairs, and has a mix of downstairs and upstairs trim. Maybe they were using their leftover pieces when they built that.

I'm curious whether different upstairs/downstairs trim was common in houses of this era. The trim is rather ornate on both of the main floors, so I doubt that cost was a factor in why they choose different styles for up and down.

For what it's worth, the flooring is also different between the floors: Downstairs is oak parquet with intricate mahogany inlays; upstairs is just straight oak boards. But here, cost explains the difference: The downstairs floor must have been pretty pricey, and they couldn't afford to use the same flooring throughout the whole house.

Any insights appreciated. I have been curious about this since we moved in.
gadolphus

Return to General Discussions Forum