Murphy Beds in an old Farm House?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Murphy Beds in an old Farm House?

Postby nguyenphutoan on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:05 am

My husband and I have recently purchased our first home, an old farm house on a few acres in Oregon. Built in 1907, we were a little leery, however there have been many up grades to the home through the years (like in door plumbing). All the room have doors that close them off from on another and upstairs there are three main room and then several sub-rooms in each separated but doors. One of the rooms is so small that when you place a bed frame inside there is no room for anything else. I'd like to make it my yoga studio but would like to still have the ability to have a bed in case we have an over flow of guests this holiday.

We live in Oregon and found a great local Murphy bed company, Old Creek Wall Bed Factory. We would like to make a purchase but we are unsure if our studs/support structure for the home will support this type of weight.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I've listed the company link for Old Creek in case anyone is also thinking about a Murphy Bed, they have the most beautifully designed beds on the market. My husband and I have spent months researching!
nguyenphutoan

Re: Murphy Beds in an old Farm House?

Postby ClaireVF on Tue May 15, 2018 2:35 pm

Oh my goodness, what a perfect opportunity to purchase an antique Murphy bed. They are a stand alone piece of furniture. One would be an awesome addition to your old home, and wouldn't have to be attached to studs or anything. We have one, and have seen many in antique stores, at antique shows, and even online. Most that I have seen (and the one we own) are made of quartersawn oak and have applied carvings. Some have a bonnet or cabinet on top with cabinets and mirror. Some are more ornate than others. They are all beautiful pieces of history. Good luck!!
ClaireVF

Re: Murphy Beds in an old Farm House?

Postby kevinkruse26 on Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:14 am

Meticulously built of either Maple or Oak, the Farmhouse Murphy bed series features stable timber panelling. Grasp craftsmen create each and each Farmhouse Murphy bed series piece. Every piece is made from first-rate, fantastically-grained woods and can be finished in a wide array of stains. Our Farmhouse collection is defined by means of its strong interest to element accompanied through incredible workmanship. Buy Coursework every Farmhouse Murphy mattress is intricately handmade with designated trim work and a six-step completing process. This method transforms this Murphy bed from a normal piece of furniture to a centrepiece you may be proud to show in your home for many years.
kevinkruse26

Return to General Discussions Forum