dcsimg

Right way to seal window casings in a stone house?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Right way to seal window casings in a stone house?

Postby JMT on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:57 am

Hey everyone. New to the forum, but this looks like an awesome resource! We're slowly nursing an 1860 Greek revival limestone farmhouse back to health. The house has all its original window casings and sashes. One of our first (and ongoing) projects was to repair/repaint all the windows. I'm making good progress on fixing sills, reglazing, painting, etc. My question is, because the window casings are set in stone, there is a gap of varying width around the casings (especially on the sides). Looks like various people at various points have tried to fill these spaces with various materials . . . mortar, cement (argh!), putty, caulk. Obviously we need to seal these windows to reduce energy use in the winter. But how? Should I be mixing a lime mortar to fill the larger voids, then using a caulking product? I don't want to just slop a ton of caulk all over the place. Any advice would be much appreciated!
JMT

Re: Right way to seal window casings in a stone house?

Postby evansdu002 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:09 am

JMT wrote:Hey everyone. New to the forum, but this looks like an awesome resource! We're slowly nursing an 1860 Greek revival limestone farmhouse back to health. The house has all its original window casings and sashes. One of our first (and ongoing) projects was to repair/repaint all the windows. I'm making good progress on fixing sills, reglazing, painting, etc. My question is, because the window casings are set in stone, there Carton déménagement standard is a gap of varying width around the casings (especially on the sides). Looks like various people at various points have tried to fill these spaces with various materials . . . mortar, cement (argh!), putty, caulk. Obviously we need to seal these windows to reduce energy use in the winter. But how? Should I be mixing a lime mortar to fill the larger voids, then using a caulking product? I don't want to just slop a ton of caulk all over the place. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hello !
I’m a new member here and I think that this site is a very good one because there are many different subjects and various tips!
Thanks!
evansdu002

Return to General Discussions Forum