Honey Bees

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Brickman House

Re: Honey Bees

Post by Brickman House »

Cat,

Glad to see someone with the same sensitivities and considerations (and about the same budget for the project) as us!

Yes, the "Brickman House" screen name is the name of our house. We've got an 1840 farmhouse in the Mid-Atlantic region, that was originally built by Harding and Mary Brickman, sometime before the mid 1840's (first documented transfer of the property with reference to a structure on it).

Don't know where you are geographically, and I can tell you we didn't come across either a "Brett" or a "Hickman" in the title search for our property, but if you think there may be a connection, check out:

http://www.brickmanhouse.com/aboutus/aboutus.htm

That section of our site tells about all we know of the history of the house and who owned the property, and if you think you might have a common interest, feel free to drop us a line at the "mail to:" link on the site!

Brickman House
brickmanhouse@mail.com

Cat

Post by Cat »

Well, probably no actual connection, but I just thought it was interesting that we share a problem AND a similar name! :) Your website is real hoot though! :)) You have a wonderful, humerous writing style. I'm not so talented, but did start a small web page here that has a little of the history of the farm we're buying. Most of my family lives in other states, so they wanted to know what we were up to and that was easier than a lot of separate e-mails.

We've done some research after we discovered the property was available and learned some interesting things about our (future) home. Most interesting is that the "Brett" connection as the original patentees of Dutchess County, NY was the Brett family. The other thing that makes the property such a find it that it has been essentially un-altered since original construction.

Brett-Hickman-Hickey Homestead

LouiseP

Post by LouiseP »

Cat, your farm is beautiful and seems to have lots of history. We have enjoyed researching our property from its first owner. It sounds like you will be doing the same. You're lucky to have the barn in such good shape. Our PO wasn't kind to our place. Everything is or has fallen down. We have some acreage down the street so it was easier to leave our horses there since we just built another barn. Our area isn't McMansions so we don't have manure plans, but I'd be interested in what it is.

st25537@hotmail.com

Julie W.

Post by Julie W. »

Cat-Don't know if you are still having trouble deciding what to do about the bees but my husband and I just tackled the same problem. We purchased an 1840's brick farmhouse and soon found a swarm of approx. 45-65,000 honey bees had taken up residence in our triple brick walls. We didn't want to kill them so we talked to many beekeepers who told us that they would not be able to get them out without opening the walls up. They told us they could bait them to an external box but that could take up to a month and isn't always successful. Long story short, they told us to use Sevin Powder that you would use in gardening for pests, and spray it into the openings where the bees swarmed in and out. They said that the honey would eventually dry up, although it may smell for awhile. We have not smelled any decaying comb or honey and the bees are all gone. It took several times to rid them all and several new colonies came and attempted to take over the empty hive, but we were able to seal off the openings and keep Sevin Powder sprinkled all around. Hope this is helpful to you. Good Luck!!

caesar@greenepa.net

Cat

Post by Cat »

Thanks very much for the info! Unfortunately, that purchase didn't work out....and hopefully I won't have to relocate any honey bees at the new house (when we find it).

dannelbello

Post by dannelbello »

It is too late to reply, but if you see a bee hive then you should contact a professional bee exterminator.