dcsimg

Termite Control

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Termites

Postby Joe on Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:38 pm

Why not just "let them eat cake". Then houses in the South would be safe. Huge volumes stacked like a mote around the house. All flavors and decorated with jucy soft fir strips, lovingly sprinkled daily with water by the lady of the manor. By the way, commercial buildings in the South, built mostly of steel and concrete still get termites at the ground level if not kept properly treated.
Joe
Joe

Re: Termite Control

Postby hendry123 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:36 am

Joe wrote:Has anyone had a good experience with modern Termite treatment? Effective chemicals were removed from the market in 1986 and the new ones if actually applied only work for a maximum of 6 or 7 years. The newest technology "Centracon" has proven to be a farce and only works in a fraction of applications. Our old house was worked over pretty good in it's 100+ years but they couldn't eat the heart pine framing or cypress siding. They will however eat the new wood used in the rehab. Any thoughts on do it yourself treatments or chemicals?
Joe

I would like to suggest you Termistop please try it once. I also use it from a long time and it really works.
Last edited by hendry123 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
hendry123

Postby Jamie66 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:15 am

Joe wrote:Has anyone had a good experience with modern termite control prices? Effective chemicals were removed from the market in 1986 and the new ones if actually applied only work for a maximum of 6 or 7 years. The newest technology "Centracon" has proven to be a farce and only works in a fraction of applications. Our old house was worked over pretty good in it's 100+ years but they couldn't eat the heart pine framing or cypress siding. They will however eat the new wood used in the rehab. Any thoughts on do it yourself treatments or chemicals?
Joe

If you want to increase the effectiveness from 6 to 7 years to more by following simple habits such as:

Minimize insect habitat - Clear garden area of debris and weeds which are breeding places for insects.

Minimize moisture - Look for dark places and places with moisture and get rid of them. these are the best for termites to grow.

Take out the trash - Clean garbage regularly in every one to two days.

follow these habits and you can make your home termites and insects free for longer period.
Jamie66

Postby lucky96 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:11 am

Joe wrote:Has anyone had a good experience with pest control? Effective chemicals were removed from the market in 1986 and the new ones if actually applied only work for a maximum of 6 or 7 years. The newest technology "Centracon" has proven to be a farce and only works in a fraction of applications. Our old house was worked over pretty good in it's 100+ years but they couldn't eat the heart pine framing or cypress siding. They will however eat the new wood used in the rehab. Any thoughts on do it yourself treatments or chemicals?
Joe

Those chemicals are removed from the market because they are more harmful to you and your family. But if you are not getting results from the other chemicals then maybe you should try organic pest control approach for it.
Last edited by lucky96 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
lucky96

Postby AnthonyABobo on Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:25 am

I know it is a very old post. I have joined this forum only few days back and thats why I am replying here because I found it to be a very good question. Termites are very dangerous. They spoil the wood very badly. The initial thing that can be done is applying termiticide at the time of construction of doors and windows. If we apply it at the initial stage then it wont be harmful to us. If you find termites spoiling your doors and windows then what you can do is spray a termiticide all over the windows and doors and leave them open for about half a day. At that time you must be out of the house otherwise you will inhale it and it will cause damage your health. Once you feel that its smell is completely reduced then only enter the house. Organic pest control is also another very good method.

These are some of the home remedies by which you can kill termites
1. Orange Oil
Apply orange oil on the area infested by termites. This will help you get rid of termites in 3 days to a maximum of 3 weeks, depending on the severity. But do not consume this orange oil, as it is injurious to health.

2. Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera kills the termites when they get in contact with each other. Crush the entire plant of aloe and store it in a container filled with water over it. Mix Aloe Vera and water properly and spritz it on the infested areas using a mist sprayer.

3. Boric acid
It is a kind of insecticide that damages the nervous system of the termites and kills them certainly. Mix water and boric acid powder and apply it on the wooden surface using a paint brush to get rid of these creepy creatures. You can also treat your garden and rooms with this solution.

I hope this information will be useful for all those who are still in search of the answer.
AnthonyABobo

Postby johnson12 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:03 am

Joe wrote:Has anyone had a good experience with modern termite pest control sydney ? Effective chemicals were removed from the market in 1986 and the new ones if actually applied only work for a maximum of 6 or 7 years. The newest technology "Centracon" has proven to be a farce and only works in a fraction of applications. Our old house was worked over pretty good in it's 100+ years but they couldn't eat the heart pine framing or cypress siding. They will however eat the new wood used in the rehab. Any thoughts on do it yourself treatments or chemicals?
Joe

Hello Joe

Since 1947, Modern Exterminating & Termite Control Company has worked hard to protect families against the pests in the greater Philadelphia area. Our longevity is testimony to the fact that we are very committed to provide great service to our customers. We continue to use the latest technology in pest control, yet we are sensitive to environmental concerns. Every effort is made to provide pest control in an environmentally responsible manner, Most of our 40 employees have been with Modern for longer than 5 years. This level of employee retention is unheard of in the industry. This employee loyalty sets us apart from our national competitors and ultimately translates into the best service to you, our valued customer. Family owned & operated. Additonal phones - (800) 564-0046, (610) 259-6622, (610) 485-2755, (610) 692-5158.
johnson12

Postby erikjamison on Tue May 23, 2017 8:37 am

The good thing is that termite infestation can be controlled by using the effective techniques, provided that you have inspected it soon. In the case they have already done a lot of damage to your property, no doubt you would be able to control them but you would also need to replace the material. Though it can be repaired to some extent, the highly damaged material will become termites' target easily. Mention the most effective ones :
1. Bait Systems
2. Soil Treatment
3. Wood Treatment
Pests not only cause damage to your house, but they can also lead to the various health problems. A professional company that would help you with pest control treatment.
erikjamison

Postby daidpark on Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:01 am

Joe wrote:Has anyone had a good experience with modern termite control? Effective chemicals were removed from the market in 1986 and the new ones if actually applied only work for a maximum of 6 or 7 years. The newest technology "Centracon" has proven to be a farce and only works in a fraction of applications. Our old house was worked over pretty good in it's 100+ years but they couldn't eat the heart pine framing or cypress siding. They will however eat the new wood used in the rehab. Any thoughts on do it yourself Nice Termite treatment cost or chemicals?
Joe

Hello,
I don't have any experience about Termite control. But now I want to do termite inspection in my office and residence also. Could you recommend me some nice service at a decent price...
daidpark

Postby marksmith on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:06 am

Hi,
Termite is a common problem in a house. I think, taking advice from a termite control service provider can be a good idea.
or you can use the material that termite can't eat like metal or steel.
Thanks!!
marksmith

Postby astroid on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:16 am

astroid

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions Forum