filling in chipped paint

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

filling in chipped paint

Postby NancyHC » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:17 pm

I have renovated the upstairs while retaining the mahogany trim. It is beyond having the paint stripped off of it. I tried. So I have to paint over the existing paint. The trouble is, there are many spots where the layers of paing have completely chipped away (not enough to give hope of stripping being successful). Is there anything I can do to fill in the chipped areas (usually quite small) that would even out the surface before I paint the top layer on?
NancyHC

Postby catya d » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:24 pm

Yes there is a type of paint spackle that is oil based, adheres well, and dries hard and is sandable. Have used it for similar purpose, to even out painted surfaces, and it worked well. Wish I could remember what it was called, if I go to the hardware store tomorrow Ill take a look. It wasn't that soft vinyl type of spackle..
catya d

Postby HB » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:09 am

you might also be able to feather out the sharp edges by sanding the chip to enlarge its size and mak the transition from the chip to the good paint more gradual.

Good Luck.

HB
HB

Thanks

Postby NancyHC » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:08 am

Thanks, I'll try to get my hands on the paint spackle. It doesn't have to look perfect (part of the charm of keeping the old trim), but it does need to be improved. I'll let you know how it worked out. :)
NancyHC

Can't find the product

Postby NancyHC » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:52 pm

Now this is weird: I went to two hardware stores and asked a "painter" (really a jack of all trades and master of none). None of them have heard of oil-based spackle. It sounds like just what I need, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing?
NancyHC

Postby Barb in Hollywood » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:32 pm

I'm going to get a bit of flack on this but I used a blue grey wood filler product similar to bondo that I got at a local lumber yard. You mix it with a hardener - it's easy to use, sets up quickly and won't clog sandpaper.

We had one enormous chip about 16 layers thick pop off our buffet and I just filled with the blue stuff sanded and painted...turned out perfect and should be fine until I actually get around to stripping the built-ins and repainting.

Barbara
Barb in Hollywood

Postby HB » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:36 pm

MINWAX makes a wood filling epoxy that you can mix up and use to fill problem areas in wood.

Just don't mix up more than you can use within 5 minutes, cause when it sets up, you're done. It gives no warning before becoming to hard to be workable.

Good Luck.

HB
HB

Postby catya » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:54 pm

What I was referring to was MH Ready Patch-Professional Formula spackling and patching compound. Zinsser is the manufacturer. There are 2 types, this would be the regular, not the "Lite".

The epoxy wood fill that hb recommended would prob work, but might be overkill-- it is VERY hard, and a lot of work to sand (I know from experience!)
catya

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:21 am

The problem with painting over paint chips is that unless you figure out why the paint is chipping and make sure that problemis resolved, the paint will continue to chip off and take your new paint with it.

Return to General Discussions Forum