dcsimg

Drywall Estimate

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Drywall Estimate

Postby YellowRose on Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:37 pm

Hello Everyone -

First forgive me of my sin of removing the plaster to add new wiring, plumbing and insulation and replacing it with....gasp...drywall. :o

Now, to my question. My house is approx. 1,600 square foot. If you include all closets, bathrooms and rooms it's about 20 rooms. What would be a fair price for drywall installation?

My contractor says $5,800.00. I live in Ohio.
YellowRose

Postby whispertalos on Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:18 pm

20 rooms in 1600 sq ft? That is a lot of rooms

hmm about 5 years ago.. I paid a contractor to just tape and texture one room 15x22 ft and it was $400 ( we had already hung the drywall)

not sure if that helps or not

Kass
Kassandra

1907 Modified foursquare
Farm House
whispertalos

Postby jeepnstein on Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:09 pm

If you can get someone to even take the job of hanging and finishing the sheetrock, consider yourself lucky. Most of the people I know in the trade avoid anything but new construction with about the same zeal they avoid going to jail.

If your contractor is willing to do a good job and work with the rock so your trim goes back correctly then his price is not that bad.

Jim
jeepnstein

Postby franklyspeaking on Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:44 am

Drywallers in North Alabama get about $.39/sq ft for new construction. That's total wall square footage not floor square footage. Figure up the wall square footage and compare. Off the top of my head, I would think that your price is a little high, but considering it is an old house, maybe not.

Good luck!
Jerry
franklyspeaking

Postby Phx Matt on Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:08 pm

Drywall is one of the absolute EASIEST things you can do. Even easier if you rent one of those vacum sanders for the tape joints. That being said, when I do the addition on my house, its not going to be sheetrocked.

DEAR TIM: Help! My husband wants to install drywall in our new room addition project. Drywall seems to dent easily and the finishing process involves tremendous quantities of dust. Is it still possible to use old fashioned plaster? Is it still manufactured, and if so, is it expensive? S. O.

DEAR S. O.: Do I ever have good news for you! Not only is plaster still available, it is, in my opinion, a tremendous value.

Your observation of drywall's tenderness is quite accurate. Drywall is, by and large, a fantastic product. However, the soft (relatively speaking) gypsum core of drywall is simply covered with a thick paper. It doesn't take much force to create a dent in drywall surfaces. Plaster surfaces, on the other hand, are much harder.

Plaster, in many respects, can be compared with concrete. Plaster, like concrete, begins as a mixture of dry compounds. When mixed with water, a chemical reaction begins to occur. This chemical reaction causes the ingredients to begin a crystallization process. Within several hours,enough crystals have formed to cause the plaster to become solid. These crystals interlock with one another and form a dense, hard surface.

Plastering systems have come a long way in the past 70 years. Many years ago, plaster was applied over thin wood strips called lath boards. The plaster sometimes had horse hair added to make it stronger. Modern advancements have led to veneer plaster systems. These systems incorporate many of the advantages of drywall to make them cost effective. Horse hair is no longer needed for strength. Modern plaster compounds are exceedingly strong.

Plaster veneer systems are applied over special gypsum core boards very similar to regular drywall. However, there is a very important distinction between the two. If you intend to plaster, you must use a gypsum board often referred to as blue board. This board is manufactured using a special paper which has a distinctive blue color. The blue paper can readily accept the large quantity of water from the plaster without causing damage to the inner gypsum core. This paper also helps to insure a good bond between the plaster and the gypsum board.

Veneer plaster work has two other advantages. Once the blue board is fastened to the walls and ceilings, dust can be kept to a minimum. The wet plaster is applied to the blue board and dries to a smooth, hard finish. The plaster requires no sanding after it drys. A professional plasterer can achieve a finish which is as smooth as glass.

The other advantage is speed. Some veneer plasters are one step operations. The plasterer trowels it on and finishes it in one step. Small jobs can be totally completed in one day. Your job, however, would only take two days. The blue board would be hung the first day and the plasterer would finish it on the second day. A similar drywall job would last five to six days.

Plaster is affordable. Often, a one coat veneer systems only costs 25 percent more than a similar drywall job. A drywall job for an average house in the Midwest costs approximately $4,800. An upgrade to plaster may only add $1,200 to the overall cost of the job.

While that may seem like a substantial amount, consider the fact that you only get one chance to do this. If you decide, after your home or room addition is built, to switch from drywall to plaster, you will have to remove the drywall and start over. Give serious consideration to using plaster on your next project. I'm confident that you will be satisfied.
Phx Matt

asiandate.com

Postby LorenaBlairBOp on Fri May 22, 2020 5:30 pm

have to pay for online dating

they assert the best things in life are free, And love is usually classified as one of those so why do some online dating services feel the need to make you pay for a shot at it?

Of things worth investigating, Finding the ideal partner must be high out there, With finding them as quickly and painlessly as you can even higher. uniform dating can provide exactly that: Love found rapidly, Even enjoyably but this auto repair comes with a cost.

There are many dating sites out there, And it can be tempting to keep your wallet for yourself and dip your toes in the pool of internet suitors without spend. notwithstanding, May be a generous term for the people found on these web sites, which often feel like virtual dating markets for the young and, somewhat, careless.

For those looking to asiandate.com meet people similar privately, And find someone to connect with, Parting with a small amount of cash can make a major difference. That is if the experience hasn put you off altogether.

Paid for sites seem to attract those more focused on looking for love. they often times match people by interest and insight, narrowing the search, With some even vetting all content published to keep scammers at bay and the atmosphere relaxed.
LorenaBlairBOp

Return to General Discussions Forum