What type of insulation under wood kitchen floor?

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

treewoman

What type of insulation under wood kitchen floor?

Post by treewoman »

I recently removed old vinyl, a layer of masonite, then linoleum from my kitchen floor. I have really nice old growth yellow pine flooring under there, very tight and clear. It will be refinished in the next couple weeks. Since I have removed the layers of flooring above it, the kitchen is much colder. Yeah, I know heat rises, but there is still a cold basement under there! I am thinking of putting insulation up under this floor from the basement. Any idea of what type to use? I have a lot of left over rolls of that insulation you use to cover heating ducts. Could I use that or should I use foam boards, or the pink stuff? I am totally clueless on this! :? Is there a concern with moisture/vapor barrier affecting my wood floors? Any help is appreciated! :)

franklyspeaking

Post by franklyspeaking »

Anything would work that has insulating value. Ideally, R-13 pink would be what I would use, but the duct insulation would work fine, as well. If it isn't thick enough to get the R-Value you want, you can put in multiple layers. You can use the wire insulation hangers to install it, which are available at any building supply store. If moisture hasn't hurt your floors previously, insulating them will only make matters better, not worse.

Good luck!
Jerry

oldhouse
Site Admin

Post by oldhouse »

Hi Treewoman,

Franklyspeaking's suggestions are solid. But I would also add that if your cellar is very cold, you should spend some time tightening it up. Attack drafty windows and bulkheads. Squirt foam insulation into the often-drafty spot where your home's sills rest on the foundation. And figure out anywhere else that cold air is rushing into your cellar ... and get rid of those air leaks.

Getting rid of those leaks will make your floors much warmer!
The Old House Web