tile cleaning with acid

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

tile cleaning with acid

Postby cassandra87 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:18 am

My 1927 house has all the original wall and floor time in the master bathroom. The floor tile is white unglazed hex tile, the walls are glazed subway tile. It all looks a bit dingy, and the floor looks really hazy. (Sorry, no pictures at the moment). I went to home depot for tile cleaners, where they of course told me I should jut rip it all out (not going to happen). I ended up buying some acid cleaner (I think it was glycolic) for the unglazed tile, and a milder cleaner for the glazed wall. Does anyone have experience with acid cleaning? Does it work? Any pointers?

Thanks!
Visit my new blog! http://www.takoma-bark.com
cassandra87

Postby Starr-Point on Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:39 am

As a matter of fact, I took advice I once read at http://www.askthebuilder.com, who suggested investing some time and just using vinegar and paper towels. Maybe you can find the article.

It worked better than I could have hoped, with no toxic crap.
RSS
Starr-Point

Postby HouseMouse on Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:13 pm

I used bleach, worked great.
Mouse ~~(8>
HouseMouse

Postby lrkrgrrl on Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:15 pm

Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Scrub, scrub, scrub. The original, non-toxic scrubbing bubbles.
lrkrgrrl

Postby mhodge44 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:35 pm

I have tried all that stuff you have mentioned except the acid and can't get my grout clean. It is an antique white color though so it has to get awful clean to look good. Please update us if you try the acid and tell how well it works.
mhodge44

Postby Jay on Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:20 pm

I cleaned a grungy old tile floor with a hydrochloric acid based, heavy duty tile cleaner. Very toxic/caustic/nasty stuff, but it did the job well.

It was quite a bit of work, and I had to work in small sections, because it is imperative that you dilute with water to stop the action and clean it all up before it dries. Once it's dry it's almost impossible to remove a haze, which it sounds like your trying to get rid of.

I used two buckets (one acid solution, other clean water), an acid brush (stiff non-metal bristles), a sponge/squeegee floor mop and several towels.

If I had it to do over, I would probably try some of the other solutions first. I've heard steam is a great option too... maybe another use for the wallpaper steamer (not that it hasn't been used enough)!

Let me add as a disclaimer: If you choose to go this route, I suggest that you read the directions, wear rubber gloves, and consider a respirator.
Jay

Re: tile cleaning with acid

Postby elina101 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:12 am

cassandra87 wrote:My 1927 house has all the original wall and floor time in the master bathroom. The floor tile is white unglazed hex tile, the walls are glazed subway tile. It all looks a bit dingy, and the floor looks really hazy. (Sorry, no pictures at the moment). I went to home depot for tile cleaners, where they of course told me I should jut rip it all out (not going to happen). I ended up buying some acid cleaner (I think it was glycolic) for the unglazed tile, and a milder cleaner for the glazed wall. Does anyone have experience with acid cleaning area? Does it work? Any pointers?

Thanks!

Hello cassandra87,

Acid is a white crystalline powder wich is in a few natural products like lemon. It is broadly utilized as a part of the nourishment business as a cell reinforcement and stabilizer, but since of their properties is additionally generally utilized as a part of cleaning items to cut oil and expel a few stains.
I hope it will help you.
elina101

Postby yardley88 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:31 am

Hello,

If you want to use acid for tiles cleaning then you have to use muriatic acid...this is a very powerful chemical for cleaning & don't damage house tiles...retain always original.
Try this for perfection...
Thanks...
yardley88

Postby jarret544 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:53 am

Hello,

If you are going to acid clean your bathroom's tiles then just keep that in mind that Spray or throw water on small areas of the tile floor, then apply the acid solution to the wet area with a sponge or mop and scrub gently. Flush with water to rinse and move on to the next section. Continue this process over the entire bathroom floor, making sure to keep the area you are working on wet.
jarret544

Return to General Discussions Forum