dcsimg

Proper way to drywall a basement

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Proper way to drywall a basement

Postby danolie on Mon May 01, 2006 7:55 pm

Hi there... I removed some old paneling from my basement wall to find 1/8' furring strips over old crumbly concrete... I want to drywall this space... here is what I THINK needs to be done... please give your feedback:

1) remove all current wall covering... use a wire brush to scrape off any lose concrete

2) use a concrete sealing paint on the walls... EDIT: What type of concrete sealer do I use??. Any tips? In addition to moisture protection, I want to do whatever I can to mitigate radon as well. (after the project is done, I'm going to have it tested... hopefully I will have reduced the radon level).

3) put in 1" x 2" furring strips

4) **DO i need this step? - Put plastic moisture barrier over furring strips

5) Drywall.

Thanks!

Dan
Last edited by danolie on Mon May 01, 2006 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One project down... a million to go...
1932 Brick Tudor - Denver, CO |
danolie

Postby Starr-Point on Mon May 01, 2006 9:36 pm

What about insulation?
RSS
Starr-Point

insulation

Postby danolie on Mon May 01, 2006 10:25 pm

what type of insultation should I use??
danolie

Postby lrkrgrrl on Tue May 02, 2006 9:59 am

If I remember correctly, radon is abated by improving ventilation, rather than trying to seal the concrete. Ventilation also helps with basement moisture issues.

Generally, a closed-cell foam insulation is recommended for basements, to about 3 feet (frost line) below grade, or rockwool. There are rockwool panels made for foundation insulation.

I'd be reluctant to seal the concrete with a paint or something. It would hold moisture in the concrete, eventually leading to failure.
lrkrgrrl

Sealing basement

Postby danolie on Tue May 02, 2006 10:16 am

You are correct in that Radon is improved with ventiliation... but it can also be abated to some degree by fixing cracks in the foundation... where the gas can come in. As far as whether or not to seal the wall, I am hearing a lot of conflicting advice. The wall previously just had some wood paneling over it, and when I removed it, I saw signs of previous moisture issues... I just want to do whatever I can to prevent future issues. I've already addressed drainage issues outside by extending downspouts, grading away from the house, and removing vegetation from right next to the house.

So... back to my original question... I want to drywall this room... what to do??? Sounds like painting the walls is not the right move, but rather get some insulation and furring strips and go that route?
danolie

Postby lrkrgrrl on Tue May 02, 2006 10:21 am

The closed cell foam functions as a moisture barrier as well, so that should help. You may want to consider using cement board, of the sort used for bathrooms, instead of regular drywall.
lrkrgrrl

Postby Starr-Point on Tue May 02, 2006 10:32 am

Here's how we did ours in the last house: nailed in 2x4s, ran the electrical service, added fibreglass insulation w/vapor barrier, put drywall up, had it taped & finished.

That was based on the recommendation of the builder who built our house to begin with; he turned out to be a very reliable guy.

Whether or not that's the preferred method in Denver, I don't know. Construction is not always a one-size fits all. Maybe talk with a contractor?
RSS
Starr-Point

thanks!

Postby danolie on Tue May 02, 2006 10:32 am

I think I'll go that route. Thank you! I'm probably going to have to do radon mitigation anyway, because my level as at 11 with a home test... however, when I spok eto a radon mitigation expert in my area, he said a lot of the flooring work I am doing may even self mitigate the problem. Once I'm done I'm going to have him test and see where the levels are (there were some gaps betweent the foundation and the floor, and one area that had never even had concrete poured in it). I had read on one of the concrete sealing cans that they also helped to mitigate radon too... so I thought that might help, but if it could compromise my foundation, that's not worth it.

(also... if the radon test comes in high again, i'm probably going to take action against the PO, as my next door neighbor just told me that the PO actually cheated on the radon test and told him about it) - he took the canister during the home inspection and put it outside!!!
danolie

Postby Don M on Tue May 02, 2006 2:38 pm

Danolie,
I would talk with your lawyer right now; that is fraud. I would have your lawyer send a letter demanding the PO provide you with a radon abatement system or you will take legal action againt him. I wasn't aware radon was a problem in Denver so live & learn!
I had a system installed in our PA farmhouse. they caulked all cracks in the cellar, drilled holes through the cement floor in several spots & installed 4" PVC pipes connected to an exaust fan that runs 24/7 and exausts the air above the second story roof. Don
Don M

Postby danolie on Tue May 02, 2006 5:21 pm

Yeah... I've consulted a lawyer... I'm going to get a couple mitigation quotes... planning on at least taking them to small claims court.
danolie

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum