Need some knowledge - extension jams

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

YellowRose

Need some knowledge - extension jams

Post by YellowRose »

We need extension jams installed on 22 windows in our house. A man gave us a bid for $600 to do the job.

Is that reasonable? We don't have a table saw or finish nailer to do it ourselves and we're not sure how much work goes into the job.

mhodge44

Post by mhodge44 »

$600 and put the molding back on? If so I'd say that is a real good deal, just because of the how tedious and boring the job is.

YellowRose

Jen_839

Post by YellowRose »

We do not have molding yet. What was in teh house was cheap and not very nice looking. I'm going to put in nice wood that's true to it's period.....cash permitting.

Crash

Post by Crash »

It's finish work, so it's not like you just slap up some strips and go.
Unless everything is dimensioned exactly equal, and 44 mass produced x-jambs will fit exactly beneath the casings on the sides of 22 windows.

I've done a few doors (4x4 door frames in a 2x6 wall) and it was a pain in the pa-toot to get everything to fit perfectly, it included a lot of planing down of the xtension pieces to the proper thickness. Overall: big pain in the pa-toot.

$600, sounds good if they do a good job.

buildsomething

Post by buildsomething »

what are you doing and why do all your windows need ext. jambs. were they recently replaced??? this sounds low, what was your next highest bid?? he is charging you 27 dollars per window in labor. most real carpenters make more than that per hour... sounds too good to be true and you know what the moral of the story is....

YellowRose

The windows

Post by YellowRose »

Yes, I committed a cardinal sin as far as this board goes and replaced my old windows with some beautiful wood Anderson's. I am going to have an artist do some painting on my old windows and hang them in my house..the rest I'll sell to someone else who has the time and money to properly restore them.

mhodge44

Post by mhodge44 »

Most carpenters do make more than that in an hour but they also wouldnt spend an hour on a window. Last window I did only took about 15 minutes if that, but some others have taken me longer. I still think it is a good price.

buildsomething

Post by buildsomething »

Let us know how the job turns out. Good Luck!