dcsimg

$15,000 kitchen cabinets?????

Here you'll find a wide range of discussions on old-house topics.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

$15,000 kitchen cabinets?????

Postby Handy-J on Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:58 pm

I have been working with a friend of mine for the past couple of years rehabbing and re-designing a 100+ year old row home.

Yesterday they showed me some of the plans they have been looking at for the new kitchen.
They have gotten 2 designs, one from a person recommended by the GC they had been working with but he disapeared when they called him on some MAJOR mistakes he made (and when they figured out he was doubling the cost of all of the subs he was bringing in (all of his peoples estimates were double the cost of the estimates my friend was getting on his own for the same jobs) and one from a Home Despot Expo store.
They are going with Cherry cabinets with plywood, not pressboard boxes.
Both estimates came in around $15,000!
Just for the cabinets, delivered to the jobsite.

This seemed outrageous to me...but I have never done a kitchen that fancy. Is $1,000 a cabinet reasonable for something like that?

I used to install kitchens for Home Despot...and I NEVER put in a kitchen that cost $15,000 (and I mean the WHOLE thing including tearing the old one out, new wiring, new plumbing (inc. sinka and fixtures), new floor, cabinets, countertops and paint...even all new appliances and I never did one that cost fifteen grand!
Handy-J

Postby whispertalos on Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:45 pm

My company is currently wiring a "Mountain Cabin" (aka 3800 sq foot house) and the appliances alone were over $18K! one light fixture they ordered was $4100!!!

We priced cabinets for our kitchen and it came in about $7k and that wasnt for anything fancy

on the west coast..<S>
Kassandra

1907 Modified foursquare
Farm House
whispertalos

Postby Bulkley on Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:41 pm

That sounds like a lot, but maybe someone is picking top of the line. My wife & I have done over a couple of kitchens for a lot less, but we build, or rebuild our own cabinets and counters.
Bulkley

Postby cassandra87 on Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:43 pm

I got some of less expensive Kraftmaid cabinets, nothing fancy, and my kitchen is really small. Price was $5000. So, for solid cherry, a good sized kitchen, that number wouldn't surprise me. Though it makes me glad my kitchen is small and my tastes were simple!!
Visit my new blog! http://www.takoma-bark.com
cassandra87

Postby thouser on Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:00 pm

Without knowing the size of kitchen hard to say but Cherry + plywood + good drawers and quality slides equals money. It's not unheard of for a medium sized kitchen with inset doors/drawers to be well over $20,000.
Thom Houser
Craftsman
http://www.thouser.com
"Let the work be simple and genuine, let it be a genuine
expression of the life which it is to environ"
Charles Keeler
thouser

Postby Handy-J on Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:22 pm

cassandra87 wrote:I got some of less expensive Kraftmaid cabinets, nothing fancy, and my kitchen is really small. Price was $5000. So, for solid cherry, a good sized kitchen, that number wouldn't surprise me. Though it makes me glad my kitchen is small and my tastes were simple!!
One of the bids (I believe the Home Depot Expo one) is for Kraftmaid cabinets.

I'd say it's a medium sized kitchen.
Handy-J

Postby eaton on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:08 pm

I think it's outrageous but I also know folks who've spent 20 or 30 thousand + just on cabinets. If people weren't willing to pay 15,000 or more, then no one would sell them for that price.

I guess to each his/her own.
eaton

Postby thouser on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:09 pm

You must remember that all of the large manufactures have at least 3 grades of cabinets. It starts with the low end of particle board cabinet boxes with MDF drawers and $2.00 drawer slides.
Thom Houser
Craftsman
http://www.thouser.com
"Let the work be simple and genuine, let it be a genuine
expression of the life which it is to environ"
Charles Keeler
thouser

Postby kec01 on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:46 pm

In March we had Amish custom made quarter sawn oak cabinets with maple boxes installed. All doors are inset. About 1/2 of our lower cabinets have pull out maple shelves. Our peninsula lower cabinets open on both sides. We have a tall pantry cabinet and our uppers go almost to the ceiling. Total cost for our medium sized kitchen $8800. Installation was $900. We went with this fellow because we got exactly what we wanted at a much lower price than a big box store.

Funny timing, but on another website, a woman posted today: "On the same note, I listened to people on this board and got a bid from a cabinet maker that will make exactly what I am looking for and the cost is going to be the same as what I would have paid at Lowe's for cabinets that I would have had to compromise. I highly recommend getting a quote from a cabinet maker before settling from a big box store. He is making me inset cabinets with maple on the inside and white painted poplar on the outside, glass inserts, installing the door pulls, etc. and delivering them to me and installing them for the same price as Lowe's. I am getting exactly what I want!"

I agree that one can spend $15000+ for cabinets, depending on what they want. I'd also suggest getting an estimate from a custom cabinet maker.
kec01

Postby jeepnstein on Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:05 am

Yes, support your local artists. Unlike the Big Box, their livliehood depends on doing the best work they can produce and making their clients smile. Their advertising is their client, not some flyer stuffed in the newspaper.

I can see spending that much on a really elaborate kitchen for the cabinets. What makes my head spin is the price of the designer appliances. Oy, just empty every pocket.

Many people will go to a Big Box or a designer store because they can't be bothered with doing the legwork. It is possible to save money at a Big Box but you have to be prepared to do your own design and install and just order supplies from them. You get what you pay for, if you bargain hard enough.

J.
jeepnstein

Next

Return to General Discussions Forum