it's too darned hot !

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

peony

Post by peony »

Way too hot for me!

*pant, sweat, pant*

91° F
At Logan Airport
As of 11:25 AM Mostly Sunny
RealFeel temp: Explain 100° F
Relative humidity: 53%
Wind direction: S
Wind speed: 10 mp/h
Barometric pressure: 29.88 in
Visibility: 10 miles
Tanning index: Explain 6 of 10

Abuela

Post by Abuela »

At 8pm last night it was still 90 here with a 93 heat index.

At 11am today it was again 90 but with a 97 heat index.

It's nearing noon and I'm afraid to look and see what it is now.

I have two window ACs that are keeping most of the downstairs cool, and I'm not leaving that area. Nope nope nope, not for any reason, no how. I'm guzzling herbal iced tea (after my double-strength high-test morning glass of iced tea to get me going), and using this heat as a reasonable excuse to not pay close attention to my to-do list.

(oh, and note to Pug-obsessed partner: YES, it's dangerous for pugs to be in temperatures above 80, but there is NO WAY that in order to save money we're going to leave the AC on overnight in the first-floor room where the dogs sleep and just run the fan in order to try and cool the 2nd floor sauna that is our bedroom. nooooooooooooo way.)
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/

al_roethlisberger

Post by al_roethlisberger »

...not to dismiss the very real discomfort(and actual DANGER for some vulnerable folks) this heat presents....

...and even for a moment ignoring our hotter Summers of the last decades.

Isn't it interesting to realize how many families lived for so long without ANY air-conditioning, and sometimes not even fans in heat like this?!

I have photos of the original owners of our house, one of their daughter getting ready for bed in the upstairs bedroom, and I look at that photo and just "shiver"(for lack of a better term :roll: ) at how FREAKIN HOT it must have been up there at night.

I know it was too, as before we had the AC installed last week, even with windows open, that upstairs was an oven on the worst days :shock:

Al
Lewis D. Isenhour House
http://www.isenhourhouse.com

leasag

Pets

Post by leasag »

Just a reminder to watch your pets. I hate to say it but I know of two pugs that died last year in the heat. Our cats are smart and are living in the basement right now. I would have followed them last night but my husband refused to sleep in the basement. Lets be practical, its like 10 degrees cooler down. At 10pm when its 98 outside (temp not heat index), 92 in the house and 83 in the basement what would you do? Just the dehumidifier taking the humidity from 80% to 55% is great.
Leasa G.

Abuela

Post by Abuela »

Al, I think about that all the time and am in awe - especially when you consider all the clothes they used to wear!!! As someone pointed out in a different thread, that was when they had double-hung windows and knew how to use them. Didn't a lot of folks sleep on "sleeping porches" when it was this bad?

And leasag, I know that the heat's threat to our pug is very real. But the temp in their room last night after we turned off the AC was under 80 with good air circulation, and in our room the temp was dramatically higher. Budget be damned, our AC was on last night! At least having the pug gives me the excuse to keep the AC on even when my frugal/green side is saying that I need to just shut up and deal with the heat. :twisted:

How DID these really large families, with the women in particular wearing 3-4 layers of clothes including long dresses, etc., survive in these houses without even fans?!?
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/

lrkrgrrl

Post by lrkrgrrl »

Chicks used to faint alot, if I remember correctly.

I envy our small neighbor who is still innocent enough to run about au natural with popsicle stains here and there.

Himself has virtuously replaced the back entry roof, and is finishing the trim and caulking back there. Man who will work on hot metal roof in 90+ is either Supremely Virtuous. Or crazed. Not sure which...(Probably starts out Virtuous and ends up crazed...) Puppy lays at the bottom of the basement stairwell if he's not splashing in his puppy pool. Or digging. Or eating ice cubes. Part-time kid has intrepidly assisted with painting, until being forgiven and sent with Puppy to air-conditioned location. Part time kid is glad it is only ninety-some'at, and not in the triple digits as it is elsewhere.

I am painting the interior of the weird little house. Thank goodness Himself replaced the screen on the weird transom-type window, so at least some air flow is in place.

al_roethlisberger

Post by al_roethlisberger »

...hrmm, I think the "crazed" just kicked in :roll:

Are you sure you aren't royalty with all these odd self references? *laugh*

As far as "sleeping porches"... well, sure. We even have one. But in this heat, they aren't much good, except they do often have a bit better x-ventilation. But they are still hot as hades.

I bet the residents of my home envied their maid at times like this, as her quarters were in the basement, and she had a private bath to boot! :?

Al
Lewis D. Isenhour House
http://www.isenhourhouse.com

jeepnstein

Post by jeepnstein »

I have a good friend who is working on an enviromental remediation job in Cincinnati and he must really be singing the blues this week. They've been doing 7-10's since last fall. He's measuring grades and moving dirt, in tyvek coveralls and a respirator. I don't know how those guys keep working under those conditions. Some of them aren't spring chickens and they sure aren't health freaks.

J.

Phx Matt

Post by Phx Matt »

I keep forgetting to turn the thermostat up to 81* when I leave for the day. This makes 2 days in a row I've left it at 76*. I'm going to have a $300+ bill this month if I don't start remembering (last month's bill was $208 for electric, and pretty much all of the electric used was for AC).

Currently 106* with 25% humidity at 11am.

leasag

Appologies

Post by leasag »

Abuela, I didn't mean to be cross or accusational, you certainly don't seem the fool. Just a reminder to make sure plenty of shade and water is available to all man and beast.

I think people were just used to it. And if you have or don't know of an alternative then you get through the best you can. I am sure they used common sense and limited manual labor as much as possible.
Leasa G.