it's too darned hot !

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

barrett

Post by barrett »

what's the definition of ironic? having to prebuy heating oil for the winter when it's 100 degrees outside!!!

how cruel and unusual is that? at least they spread the payments out over the year, so when it's 100 degrees in summer you have to write a check for heat! i'm paying for heat when i can't escape it. oh the sweet irony.

barrett

Schag

Post by Schag »

Our AC hasn't turned off since early June and it's still hot and sticky in the house.
My old lady refused to help empty the attic back in May so that we could blow in more insulation and now we're paying the price.
She more than me. I get to come to work and she get's hot more than I do. :twisted:
She now knows how important it is to live in a little mess for a while in order to stay cooler and not pay such a high power bill.

calclan

Post by calclan »

Ahhhh as I sit reading all these threads the air has just kicked on, trying to save some dollars on electric so it doesn't go on till 3:30 pacific and its set for 82, and the cool air is just blowing up my legs from the floor register. :lol: As far as the second floor the stat is set at 90 till 8:30 and then it goes to 87 wow :roll: otherwise I'll have a 600$ electric bill. We have got to get that attic insulated!
paula

JeanM

Post by JeanM »

We just had our first heat wave of the year. Temps up in the mid 90's yesterday and humid enough for me! Last night we had the cold front come through and, for once, my town got hit! Not that I enjoyed the nonstop lightening (esp. the close, very close!, strike somewhere very nearby) or the initial hail, or getting up every 45 minutes or so to reopen or reclose my side door depending on whether it was about to rain in... but we had a lovely 1.75" of rain! :D

I, too, have been thinking about our ancestors and how much tougher they were at just dealing with discomfort, having no choice about it. Can you imagine the smells, though, amidst a group of people on days like this? :shock:

I am grateful for my two whole-house fans. They do a decent job of dropping the house temps down, as long as it's cooled off a bit more outside than inside. Does anyone know how a house fan's energy consumption compares to a/c, though?

al_roethlisberger

Post by al_roethlisberger »

Well, the cost of operating whole-house/attic fans can't really be compared 1:1 with AC as they do much different jobs.

As you know, an AC cools and dehumidifies the air in a house in a closed circuit(or at least you HOPE it is :roll: ) , where an attic fan exchanges the air from outside -> inside the house.

An AC generally will run close to non-stop, or at least cycle frequently to maintain a given temperature, where one will run an attic-fan every so often in one big bulk exchange to draw ostensibly cooler air into the house.

But as you know, if the outside air isn't that much cooler, the attic fan won't make much difference except to create a gentle breeze through any open windows.

But all that being said, if you aren't trying to "cool" your house by 20 degrees as with an AC, and just want to purge the hot afternoon air and exchange it with cool evening air, an attic fan offers great economy as you only have to run it for a few minutes often.

I wish I had one, and the attic ventilation to support it.

Al
Lewis D. Isenhour House
http://www.isenhourhouse.com

Phx Matt

Post by Phx Matt »

al_roethlisberger wrote: if you aren't trying to "cool" your house by 20 degrees as with an AC,

Al
20*? Try 30*+ Amazing the AC can keep up with as many places the air has to escape.

al_roethlisberger

Phx Matt wrote:
al_roethlisberger wrote: if you aren't trying to "cool" your house by 20 degrees as with an AC,

Al
20*? Try 30*+ Amazing the AC can keep up with as many places the air has to escape.
If you are successfully cooling your house by 30 degrees in 90+ degree weather, either you have one "helluva" unit(i.e. a house sized FREEZER :roll: ), or your thermostat/thermometer is broken :wink:

I'm not calling you a liar or course *laugh* ... but factory ACs are designed to take temps from about 95ish down to 75-78 degrees at best. Any lower than that, and the AC will probably run constantly and never quite get much below 75 in real temps through the house.

Of course it depends on many factors, and maybe you have an ideal situation, but a 30 drop inside versus 90+ degree outside temps would be pretty phenomenal.

I'd hate to see someone's electric bill that set their AC to 65ish degrees :shock:

Al
Lewis D. Isenhour House

JeanM

Post by JeanM »

al_roethlisberger wrote:But all that being said, if you aren't trying to "cool" your house by 20 degrees as with an AC, and just want to purge the hot afternoon air and exchange it with cool evening air, an attic fan offers great economy as you only have to run it for a few minutes often.

I wish I had one, and the attic ventilation to support it.

Al
Hmm. I run my fans all night! Have I been ignorant and been abusing my fans by running them for so long? :?

Phx Matt

Post by Phx Matt »

al_roethlisberger wrote:
If you are successfully cooling your house by 30 degrees in 90+ degree weather, either you have one "helluva" unit(i.e. a house sized FREEZER :roll: ), or your thermostat/thermometer is broken :wink:

I'm not calling you a liar or course *laugh* ... but factory ACs are designed to take temps from about 95ish down to 75-78 degrees at best. Any lower than that, and the AC will probably run constantly and never quite get much below 75 in real temps through the house.

Of course it depends on many factors, and maybe you have an ideal situation, but a 30 drop inside versus 90+ degree outside temps would be pretty phenomenal.

I'd hate to see someone's electric bill that set their AC to 65ish degrees :shock:

Al
112* yesterday, and it was 75* in the house at the thermostat. That is a 37* drop. I normally turn it up to 81* during the day and down to 75* at night for sleeping, but forgot to yesterday. I can SEE daylight around my windows too (casements), and the "cold" air return isn't effectively sealed off from sucking air from the crawlspace under the house.

al_roethlisberger

Phx Matt wrote:
al_roethlisberger wrote:

Al
112* yesterday, and it was 75* in the house at the thermostat. That is a 37* drop. I normally turn it up to 81* during the day and down to 75* at night for sleeping, but forgot to yesterday. I can SEE daylight around my windows too (casements), and the "cold" air return isn't effectively sealed off from sucking air from the crawlspace under the house.
Good lord, you must one helluva AC and bill :shock:

My 5 ton unit ran for 3 days straight, and I was only able to get it down to the low 70s.

Al
Lewis D. Isenhour House