it's too darned hot !

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

barrett

it's too darned hot !

Post by barrett »

is it hot enough for ya? how 'bout that weather? i hate people who ask me those things! like, yeah, duh. it's hot. no sh*t genius, i didn't notice.

does anybody else want to complain about the weather?

i tried working inside and outside today, but had to quit at 2. sunny, 90 degrees, and 100 % humidity = no work on house. seems like it's either deadly hot and humid, or it's raining cats and dogs. i couldn't even scrape the paint off a window in the garage without feeling ill.

i thought it'd be great for my wife and i to have the summer off (we both work at a school), but we haven't gotten much done. too humid to paint, too hot to reglaze widows outside. to rainy to landscape or weed the garden. i've only mowed the yard 3 times all year, and we'll be lucky to get any vegetables before the first frost. even our dog just lays around and sleeps all day. i don't think our old wiring can support the load of an air conditioner, so we lay in bed sweating all night complaining when one of us touches the other one, with one little crappy fan in a window. it's too yucky to cook or bake so we eat sandwiches or order take-out. when it rains our digital sattelite tv doesn't work, and the roof leaks so we have to run around with towels and pots.

how's the weather where you live, and how's it affecting you and your old house?

barrett

Schag

Post by Schag »

90 degrees,
:?:
Did you have a cold front come or something?
I'd love it to just be 90 down here.
Today, it's 101 and 107 heat index with 100% humidity and skeeters that steal babies.

:wink:

kec01

Post by kec01 »

Just a mere 97F here in Chicago and ONLY 44% humidity! Yes, it's a pain. The ONLY good thing about this weekend is that I completely filed all our personal paperwork and cleaned out the file cabinet! Thank goodness, a job one could do in the basement!

The weather guys and girls are telling me that we have a 1 day cold front coming through tomorrow - high only expected to be mid-80s! And then it's back to 90+.

I'd so much rather be working in the garden....which needs some love pretty badly.

.....and we don't have global warming - HA!

vichouse

Post by vichouse »

Well, here in Mid-Atlantic also very hot last few days.

Yesterday, i did manage to do some tilework in bath of my cool basement. But thats about it.

I've got lots of yard work & outdoor projects to do, but instead just bought materials, could not handle swooning temps of 95+.

Don't worry - Aug almost here and then Sept/Oct, best time to get them projects done!! Hang in there and maybe buy some new fans !!

Abuela

Post by Abuela »

(vichouse, where in mid-atlantic?)

TOO hot.

I'm not cooking - we've been having coldcut/fruit/veggie plates for dinner and lunch.

I'm not working if it takes me outside of our two air conditioned rooms.

I have to admit that I am seriously missing the central air in our previous house.

Blech.
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/

Phx Matt

Post by Phx Matt »

114 this past weekend, and HUMID.

barrett

Post by barrett »

from original poster-

ok, i guess some of ya'll have it worse than me!
but come on, i live in VERMONT! the place that folks from new jersey come to in the summer to cool off! and they come here in the winter to ski, although last winter was warmer than ever and the ski places lost big bucks.
today it was 90 degrees, with a heat index of 98!!! uggghhh.

the government says that global warming is a myth? if only.
but when the sea level rises, i will have ocean front property!

barrett

Schag

Post by Schag »

but come on, i live in VERMONT! the place....
that has 2 seasons.......winter and July. :lol:

Phx Matt

Post by Phx Matt »

Schag wrote:
but come on, i live in VERMONT! the place....
that has 2 seasons.......winter and July. :lol:
Winter, and one month of bad sledding.

Greg

Post by Greg »

Let's see, I woke up to temps in the mid 50s and wore a jacket to work. Around noon the fog burned off and we now have spectacular sunny skies with temps in the high 60s to low 70s. Around 7 or 8 the fog will roll back in and the temp will drop back down in to the high 50s. This time of year, though, we're lucky to see the sun at all. The really pleasant weather doesn't start for another 4 to 6 weeks or so.