Location forums

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Postby saint pauli girl on Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:02 am

The Lexington/Grand area is nice. St. Paul has some great history and fun facts, especially with the gangster era. There was a shootout at Sweeney's Bar with Dillinger too, I thought. I grew up telling my parents that I was going to live on Summit Ave. someday. Well, Highland is as close as I got (so far!) Our kids have gone to school with quite a few kids who live near or on Summit, so it's been a perk to go to their homes for play dates. My kids have played in some of those gorgeous mansions! Anyway, we're not too far from St. Kate's, SPA and Macalester. We take our kids to Mattocks Park, where Charles Schultz went to school as a kid. We're also in a foursquare, which was built in '24. It's not very big, only 3 bedrooms and 1 bath. (We have a toilet and sink in the basement and shower curtain walls.) We are just completing our spiffy new biffy upstairs. I'll try and post pics when it's done. Warning: It's pink. It's gorgeous. And I love it!
saint pauli girl

Postby kec01 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:08 am

The husband of the couple that bought our house lived in one of those Summit Ave mansions and played in our house when he was a kid! Once I found out that fun fact, I knew in my bones that nothing was going to get in the way of our selling the house to them and closing successfully!

The thing I miss in a big way about St. Paul --- is that one can drive places without getting into traffic jams. Around here, the only time to drive somewhere smoothly and at a stead rate of speed is Sunday morning at 8am! I also miss the strength of the Twin Cities Bungalow Club!
kec01

Postby oldhouseluvr on Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:17 pm

We just got back from a mini-vaca so I am on the map now too.

Danno - can you delete the me that I put out in the woods? I didn't realize the satellite view was available. :oops:
oldhouseluvr

Postby Danno on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:01 pm

every once in a while I'll try to look there and delete duplicates, always deleting the older of the bunch. if somebody finds that I don't notice your duplicates it may be because they aren't near each other on the list, so speak up if it's been a week or so, lol. most people got duplicates by clicking once and realizing they could zoom in then they'd click again, but all within a few minutes of each other. It was easy when there were like 25 people on the list, but I see we are up around 50 right now!!!

anyway, there were settings that let me recenter the map to different longitudes and latitudes, and also change the zoom level, so it's kinda centered in nebraska or so and zoomed in to cover most people on the forum, but if you live abroad you might have to zoom out to place your guy.....
1858 Italianate and Gothic Inspired thingamabob
HappyInHartwood: "You can't make something 'more' ruined."
Danno

Postby Jack Willard on Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:26 am

Way cool idea Danno! Pretty much the same map type as on zillow.com.

Greg wrote:
I'm on the map! and I'm all alone. Come on, West Coast People, Represent.

Okay Greg, I'm at least in the same State!
Jack Willard
ImageOn the way to California in 1972
http://members.oldhouseweb.com/jack_willard/Index.html
Jack Willard

Postby Mary Alice on Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:10 pm

Greg wrote:

Quote: I'm on the map! and I'm all alone.

Um, Greg, maybe that's because your little guy looks like he ended up in the bay... :wink: Or, maybe that was on porpoise! :roll:

M. A.
Mary Alice

Postby Sacto Diane on Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:17 pm

Jack Willard wrote:
Greg wrote:
I'm on the map! and I'm all alone. Come on, West Coast People, Represent.

Okay Greg, I'm at least in the same State!

OK, three west coasters now but we're still out numbered :)

Diane
Sacto Diane

Postby angolito on Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:26 pm

greg, you are doing the breast stroke, dude. glub.
angolito

Postby Abuela on Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:31 am

Mary Alice wrote:Um, Greg, maybe that's because your little guy looks like he ended up in the bay... :wink: Or, maybe that was on porpoise!

Hey girlfriend, don't be hatin' on someone else's minor misplacement of their little guy... I noticed when I did a satellite closeup of yours that you are right on the edge of some lake or maybe in the middle of a marsh. :P :lol:

(edited to add that I just read back a page and see that you already noticed that, but I'm leaving my comment here just to bust your chops! I'm gonna leave my guy across from the folks with the swimming pool, though. Oh and "porpoise" - harharhar :roll:)
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/
Abuela

Postby Greg on Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:59 am

Abuela wrote:
Mary Alice wrote:Um, Greg, maybe that's because your little guy looks like he ended up in the bay... :wink: Or, maybe that was on porpoise!

Hey girlfriend, don't be hatin' on someone else's minor misplacement of their little guy... I noticed when I did a satellite closeup of yours that you are right on the edge of some lake or maybe in the middle of a marsh. :P :lol:

(edited to add that I just read back a page and see that you already noticed that, but I'm leaving my comment here just to bust your chops! I'm gonna leave my guy across from the folks with the swimming pool, though. Oh and "porpoise" - harharhar :roll:)

The 5.1 quake last night bounced me out in to the bay.
Greg

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum