dcsimg

James in NC photo album

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

James in NC photo album

Postby S Melissa on Sat May 24, 2008 11:41 am

Hi all,
After years of bitc*ing about this - James finally sent me the pictures of his place. It is incredible - so authentic. and - if it had been me walking up to that place in the "first" shots - well, I'd have walked away - wow - the house was in such bad shape. You can really see the hard work and all the soul James has put into this lovely colonial place. I've uploaded it into my photobucket, so you can see for yourselves. Being out in the hinterlands, James doesn't have the fast upload for pictures.

Now - for Lrkrgrrl - you're next - when will we see pictures sis?

Well, drat it all, I copied these from my email from James, and they saved in the thumbnail size rather than full size - dang it. Same with on the photobucket upload. Fiddle. Oh well, you can get the idea - and I'll mess with this later to get better uploads. Drat dumbness on my part.

here's the photobucket link: http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p271 ... C%20House/
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Re: James in NC photo album

Postby KathyJB on Sat May 24, 2008 12:51 pm

All the photo's were small, but you can see how bad a shape it was in. Daunting to say the least.
KathyJB

Postby James on Sat May 24, 2008 2:20 pm

Did not know Melissa was going to post those, and certainly not so fast. Let me put in a necessary disclaimer here. I did not do most of that work, don't give me the credit for it. I looked at the place in 90 or 91 when it was on the market back then, but chickened out and decided it was to far gone. Place sold to the guy who did the bulk of the work, and did it very well. Most of the early shots are pictures he sent me of the work that I used for the national register nomination process. So, most of the credit for saving the house should go to the PO, not me.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby S Melissa on Sat May 24, 2008 7:26 pm

James, I am sorry if I mis-stepped the sharing of your photos - I can pull them off if you would prefer. I did it right after I opened your email - in these days of lots of work all day long - I had a moment to do it - and did! I realize now that I shouldn't have been so brassy. I should have asked if you wanted me to - I'm truly sorry. I will take the photos off, because they are so small - you miss all the great details and textures of the house in these thumbprint sized photos. they really should be seen full sized.

I'm also sorry for mis-representing your efforts. I made assumptions - and really forgot the story about the PO that did a lot of the work (funny - when I was looking at the pics it flashed thru my memory that you said the PO did a lot of work -judging from where I assumed you began I thought "what work?" - but here "flash" is the operative word! ) This is what happens when one hurries - especially when I had a pile of work ahead of me this morning to get to - multi-tasking isni't all it is cracked up to be!

So, everyone, please understand that I mis-spoke and mis-stepped. I am sorry. I'll take the pics off - they're too small anyway - and if you desire to try again - that's up to you - I promise I won't butt in!! (My husband will tell y ou he's heard that before - but honestly - I'm trying to be better!)
Melissa
Canton, MI
S Melissa

Postby James on Sat May 24, 2008 8:01 pm

No Melissa, i'm not asking that you take them down ok(well maybe the one shot of the PO shirtless, cause if that was me I'd want it off). I just wanted to make it crystal clear that I did not deserve the credit for all that work. The PO did amazing work here and I do not want claim credit for all he did. I really do marvel at him being willing to step and do what he did, and I say that having seen the place before he did and knowing just how bad it was cause I could not bring myself then to make the offer. But thanks for posting them and again, with that one exception of shot where you can see the PO, I'm not suggesting taking them down. Just wanted it clear I am not the one who deserves the credit for the bulk of the work here.
James

Postby Greg on Sat May 24, 2008 9:58 pm

OK, so now that we're all friends again, can we see larger shots of those pictures? Its very frustrating.
Greg

Postby James on Sun May 25, 2008 11:58 am

Greg, tried sending you a private message but not sure if it went(took Melissa six weeks to read hers lol), so if you want, private message me an email address and I will forward the pictures to you. There seems to be some sort of a size issue with them for sure. The three posted awhile back that most of you must have seen were OVERSIZED, now Melissa tries and they come out undersized. Makes me wonder if the problem is with the scanned pictures themselves, but frankly I have NO clue. With my extremely slow dial up connection here, forwarding an email is about as complicated a process as I care to try and handle.
James

Postby My4t2de on Sun May 25, 2008 12:10 pm

Ok, Not Funny People!

Well, maybe a little.... :lol:
1895 ish Stick Style Queen Anne
My4t2de

Location: NW of Sundine, WSW of BrantR&boots, S of Prairiebox and N of Jokergirl

Postby James on Sun May 25, 2008 12:23 pm

LOL, yea I'm sure the dark days of 1993 were not very funny for the PO. There you see the old girl when she was at her worst. You know, when you're going thru that, it's got to get worse before it gets better period, well, that shot is apparently where WORSE bottomed out. And lord love the PO for persevering thru that phase. I know a lot of you on here like to bitch about your PO's. I only met the previous owner here twice, once while he owned the place and before he put it on the market, and exactly one time during the whole purchasing ordeal(he was in another state thru most of that), but God knows I have nothing bad to say about Previous owner here, cause without him this place would definitely have gone up in smoke, or collapsed into a pile of toothpicks. Now, if he had only done the CHIMNEYS, I'd nominate him for sainthood.
Last edited by James on Sun May 25, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

Postby S Melissa on Sun May 25, 2008 12:48 pm

Ok everyone keep your shirts on. I was able to resize the pictures, but I have to load them into the photobucket site and the bulk uploader uses some sort of special thing-a-ma-bob (technical term for you non computer geeks out there) - and my laptop is very limited - as it belongs to the twp and they don't feel the need to supply me with special thing-a-ma-bobs for my fun and games! So will have to haul pudgy butt upstairs to load on the mother of computers in the office which has the special thing-a-ma-bobs as I AM THE ADMINISTRATOR up there - only a lowly twp trustee down here! so, once I exhaust myself from scraping the slime from my house before Kec01 arrives tomorrow and reports back that I'm a pig in a sty here - I'll load the pics - chck back tonight. Whew - :shock:
Melissa
Canton, MI
S Melissa

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum