dcsimg

James in NC photo album

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: James in NC photo album

Postby James on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:36 pm

Some cell phones work here, some don't. Mine does in the yard, but not in the house. Have litterally held cell phone conversations with my head out the window. Or as the assistant manager at work said, like on Green Acres, having to climb the telephone pole to make a call.
Need to buy a lap top. Have one for work, but don't use it on the internet from the house. Computer here is a five or six year old that my nephew built for me. Need to upgrade to a laptop here. No high speed internet thru the phone company available here. They sold it to me once, but the installer told me when he came that he could not do it. Was to far away from whatever equipment I had to be within 3.5 miles of.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby kat on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:15 pm

My cell phone is the same here...but my Verizon broadband is still usuable and way better than dial up.

need to know who owns the closest towers...my next phone will be with US Cellular...who are more dominant in my area.

most companies will let you try the broadband air card for 14 days with no obligation..so if you get a lap top give it a try..
even with my broadband frustrations of slowness at times and dropping service it is WAY better than dial up..
kat

Postby gregV on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:39 pm

James, Saw this in an old issue of Early American Life. Thought of you. :D

gregV

Postby James on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Thats a great house, quite similiar to mine. Beaufort has some amazing architecture there. Its a great town to visit in the summer.
James

Postby James on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:22 pm

Hey ripfish pulling this one back up to get it past all the spam so you can see my place. Those folks have really messed up the website lately. Cannot imagine what benefit they get from that. Hopefully one of the more computer literate sorts will help size your pictures.
James

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum