dcsimg

James in NC photo album

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: James in NC photo album

Postby My4t2de on Mon May 26, 2008 12:07 pm

You mean that mess of a building really is your house?

I thought it was a joke picture, some condemned house that you posted. You live in that?
1895 ish Stick Style Queen Anne
My4t2de

Location: NW of Sundine, WSW of BrantR&boots, S of Prairiebox and N of Jokergirl

Postby James on Mon May 26, 2008 3:55 pm

Yes, as previously stated(keep up with me here people) that is my house, circa 1993, during the PO's regime. Recent pictures have already been posted last month, under the general discussion forum, forget the title right now, exterior pictures of my house or some such. Now you see why PNC had the house on the market for like three years before they found a buyer(and it actually looked better than that on the market then when I almost bought it the first time)as already stated, that was the low point from all the pictures the PO sent me of the renovation process. The got to get worse before it gets better thing, it really is true. PNC uses pictures of my house, and several others, as before and after pictures in their membership brochure(altho not that specific picture).
If you look at Melissa's first post in this thread, where you see four thumbnail size pictures. The first two are before and afters of the exterior from roughly the same angle. The second two are before and afters of the dining room, from slightly different angles. But the same room. What a difference 15 years and two owners makes huh? Maybe by the time the place gets to the third or fourth owner she'll be done. Those two before pictures are both early 90's, the after's are both in the last year or two. Again, as I have already said repeatedly, credit the PO with the bulk of the work, NOT me.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby My4t2de on Mon May 26, 2008 10:01 pm

I found the others pictures. I hadn't seen the other thread, so I was definitley not keeping up, sorry. :wink:
What a neat little house. It's so great that you and the PO's were able to save it.
That's pretty old for a wood house isn't it?
Seems that most of the 1700's houses are stone or a lot of stone and wood.
1895 ish Stick Style Queen Anne
My4t2de

Location: NW of Sundine, WSW of BrantR&boots, S of Prairiebox and N of Jokergirl

Postby Civil War Seamstress on Mon May 26, 2008 11:31 pm

My4t2de.

My Aunt lived in a house built in 1685, in Scituate, MA. With the exception of the chimney, it was all wood and original too. Never seen any termite damage, but some ceiling beams showed some powder post beetles at some time.

No matter who started the restoration, if it had not been for James owning it now and carrying the project forward, the house could have been returned near to its original state, or worse yet befallen into the hand of HGTV remuddlers! :shock:
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/
Civil War Seamstress

Postby James on Tue May 27, 2008 12:51 am

I think 1770 is pretty old for any house, at least on this continent. Most houses down here are wood except for the chimneys. Brick ones were really rare. From the 18th century, I'm not sure how many there are in NC. Newbold White is and it's from the 1730's ? The King Bazemore is 18th century and has brick end walls with the chimneys, but the rest of it is frame.
James

Postby Edee on Tue May 27, 2008 9:27 am

Hey James

I don't seem to remember that before picture shown in this thread when Nancy W. had us over a few years back, but you did have a slew of pictures you shared with us... The porch was what impressed me most and lingers in my memory.

But wow, you do indeed need to give credit where credit is deserved, your PO gave you an increditable jump start!
Edee
1912 Gordon-Van Tine House Plan #122

"Be the Change You Want to See in the World"
(Ghandi)
Edee

Re: James in NC photo album - updataed with bigger pics

Postby S Melissa on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:53 pm

OK, I'm emerging for a moment from my campaign haze and got James' pics loaded onto the photobucket: http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p271 ... C%20House/

Here are a few:

There's a taste! Go to the photobucket album to see them all! It's a great show!
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Postby KathyJB on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:36 pm

It's a joke right? What can Old House People really accomplish? That is super amazing. I would never in a million years believe that that wreck could have been turned into an amazing home. What is the wood on the living room walls? I really like that.
KathyJB

Postby Greg on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:24 pm

Wow! That place is amazing. What history. I now feel like I'm living in a McMansion.
Greg

Postby James on Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:25 pm

The wood on the walls(floors, ceiling)is so far as I know, pine. Tho I admit I am not expert enough to tell the difference between pine and cypress reliably. To me those two look a lot alike and I could be wrong. I know years ago I went to a seminar at the MESDA Museum in Winston Salem on wood identification, and I remember that one of the pieces they showed us, I would have sworn it was pine, and it was cypress.
James

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum