dcsimg

Mail Boxes

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Mail Boxes

Postby KathyJB on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:53 am

I was going to say, show your mailbox, but....maybe later. Lots of nice vintage and antique look ones on ebay.

Anyhoo, I was thinking about putting one of those vertical mailboxes on the front of my house, not for mail, but for messages and stuff in case someone comes by and wants to leave a note or something. I saw something like what I want at Ace Hardware website, but thought I would ask where you guys got your mailboxes on your porches? The one I was looking at was 50's looking, so I'll probably get it. :?:
KathyJB

Re: Mail Boxes

Postby kathyd on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:30 am

Mine was a freebie. It's a homemade one, wood with some cute cutouts and designs on it. Kind of funky. We were driving by a friend's home. They were moving and I asked where they had gotten the mailbox. They told me just to go and take it if I wanted it. I'll take a photo later, too dark outside right now.
kathyd

Postby S Melissa on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:16 pm

We have a nice mail box - or did - before some yahoo decided to use it for batting practice. Anyway - it is out by the road. For the "drop off" stuff - notes, pick ups of envelopes, keys for something etc I have a basket that hangs on the wall inside my back porch. We used to never lock the doors - so anything that was going or coming went in that basket - even if we weren't home folks could pick up/drop off anytime. Now, we more often lock our doors - trying to get in the habit. And we don't have the traffic we used to for that sort of thing now that the kids are outta school. But a nice basket works great!
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Postby carol ny on Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:50 pm

Our mailbox sits out by the road too. IF if survives the winter it will get a new paint job. The village snowplows are murder on mailboxes this time of year. They already knocked it over once this year. I'm sure it will get knocked over again what with the new mes we have outside tonight.
Inside the porch area I have a nice red retro looking mailbox. A garage sale find. We also have a milk box that I keep on the porch for my grandkids finds! Saves my house from looking like a nature walk.
carol ny

Postby KathyJB on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:31 pm

But a nice basket works great!

You know, I never thought about putting hanging flower or plant baskets on my front portica until you said that. :roll: I don't know why, I've always wanted a porch to hang plants on, but your idea to put "things" in is creative. It keeps it off the ground so unwanted critters can't take things. I wonder if a wall pocket toward the inside would work just as well?
KathyJB

Postby CivilWarHome on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:31 pm

We have an old one attached to the house. No idea on its age though.
Brandy
185? Italianate
Macon, Mo
CivilWarHome

Postby wletson on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:41 pm

Like this Kathy?

Tried to post this a couple of days ago, had issues.
A couple of flower boxes on rails on either side would finish it off nicely. Maybe a small white mailbox attached to one of the flower boxes?
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby KathyJB on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:45 pm

Hey I like that! Look at all the color.
KathyJB

Postby wletson on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:30 am

You'll notice that I'm still stuck on the idea of thickening up those two pillars. I can be a pain in the butt, can't I? :D
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby KathyJB on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:18 pm

When I look at the picture, the posts are fancier than the whole house. Maybe this summer I'll try it, but for now, I'll keep what I have. I'll have to look at it a while, but I imagine I'll do something.
KathyJB

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum