Mail Boxes

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Mail Boxes

Postby cs on Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:44 am

That's pretty cool, Airgrabber.

I think my mailbox is original (also a 1920's vintage). Once I removed the vinyl siding, and the asphalt shingle siding, the mail box seemed to line up with each of the three sets of screw holes in the original clapboards, so it looks like various PO's just remounted it each time they felt the need to slap another layer on. :roll:

The original porch light is long gone, however. This one has a "hammered finish" detail that is evocative of the mailbox's end caps.

The mail box seems to be made of copper, or a copper alloy.

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com
cs

Postby airgrabber on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:05 pm

melissakd wrote:Wow, a perfect period find! Congratulations AG!

My front door was new in 1890-something and has a large window; it can't have a mail slot. I've seen 900 thousand "Victorian" mailboxes, but had a terrible time was actually that old or was a reproduction. I couldn't even find PICTURES of old mailboxes. :?

MKD

Thanks, MKD! You don't want a mail-slot...especially if you live in a cold climate area. Ebay does seem to have a bunch of vintage mailboxes, but (if you're like me) you may be too penurious for Ebay. :wink:
Three may keep a secret, if two are dead.
Circa 1921 Dutch Colonial Revival
airgrabber

Postby airgrabber on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:09 pm

cs wrote:That's pretty cool, Airgrabber.

I think my mailbox is original (also a 1920's vintage). Once I removed the vinyl siding, and the asphalt shingle siding, the mail box seemed to line up with each of the three sets of screw holes in the original clapboards, so it looks like various PO's just remounted it each time they felt the need to slap another layer on. :roll:

The original porch light is long gone, however. This one has a "hammered finish" detail that is evocative of the mailbox's end caps.

The mail box seems to be made of copper, or a copper alloy.

Chris
http://www.saracenihouse.com

Nice mailbox, Chris! Plus, it's a generous size for those extra-large bills, communiques and newspapers. Very nice, and I think the beautiful light fixture is a natural fit, too!
airgrabber

Postby melissakd on Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:24 pm

airgrabber wrote:Ebay does seem to have a bunch of vintage mailboxes, but (if you're like me) you may be too penurious for Ebay. :wink:

Penurious, c'est moi. I'm so poor, last Christmas I got my parents library books! *rim shot*

Which is actually true. They considerately returned them before I incurred any overdue fines.

eBay, hmmmm....be back later

MKD

Edit---AG, check this out!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARTS-CRAFTS-MAI ... 48417302cc

You're so right, there are many great mailboxes listed, and you can tell they're the real thing...thanks for the tip!
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby justin86 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:32 pm

I got this mailbox recently...

I love it. It's made of thick cast aluminum and probably weighs about 15 lbs. It's also quite large at 15.75" w x 20" h. It's much better then the flimsy brass looking piece of junk that was there.
justin86

Postby airgrabber on Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:04 pm

melissakd wrote:Penurious, c'est moi. I'm so poor, last Christmas I got my parents library books! *rim shot*

Which is actually true. They considerately returned them before I incurred any overdue fines.

eBay, hmmmm....be back later

MKD

MKD, I would certainly liked to have seen their expressions when they unwrapped their "gifts"!!! :lol:

melissakd wrote:Edit---AG, check this out!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARTS-CRAFTS-MAI ... 48417302cc

You're so right, there are many great mailboxes listed, and you can tell they're the real thing...thanks for the tip!

Whoa! That looks nearly identical to mine! A few minor differences with the letter "window" and escutcheon...the newspaper holder. Same company had to have made both boxes! Mine IS a lot less pretty, though...are you going to bid on it?
airgrabber

Postby SignPainter on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:49 pm

Interesting thread and topic,... mailboxes..... my wife and I have never been able to agree on a mailbox style, in this house or any house come to think of it. So currently we are using a basket, more like a picnic basket of some sort. But to be sure, we have looked long and hard for a mailbox, we have yet to agree on one.
ImageGallery of Hand Painted Wood Historic House and Custom Made Signs by http://www.HandPaintedWoodSigns.com
SignPainter

Postby melissakd on Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:12 pm

Bid? Me? I can't afford a $68 mailbox. I'm sure the seller fixed that one up the way you are planning to do. Including naval jelly and paint, I'll bet yours will cost barely a quarter of what his did, and be every bit as good.

My mother grew up poor and understands what it's like; she was pleased by the ingenuity of my Christmas gift. I'd read the books myself and thought they were good. My parents are retired and, being avid readers, use the public library regularly. (If they bought all that they read, the annual book bill would not bear thinking of, even for them!)

:) MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum