Mail Boxes

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Mail Boxes

Postby amygwen999 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:15 pm

We live on a rural route, and I'm guessing that this past Fall, my mailbox was the most decorated in the county.
We are getting ready to build a new house (custom designed to imitate an old Folk Victorian farmhouse), and all I have to decorate right now is my mailbox since I don't have a porch.

amygwen999

Postby KathyJB on Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:22 pm

Amy, I just gotta plant some corn this year so I can use it to decorate in the fall. I love the way you decorated your mailbox. :D
KathyJB

Postby amygwen999 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:59 am

Thank you. My husband plants 6 acres of corn for our cattle, and I had to sneak out there when he wasn't looking and "steal" enough to decorate with. LOL
amygwen999

Postby KathyJB on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:04 am

What kind of cattle do you raise? We had to buy hay this year because its been so very, very dry. We have Charlois bulls and cross bred cows.
KathyJB

Postby amygwen999 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:07 pm

We mostly raise Limousin, Angus & Lim-Flex cattle, but also have some grade cows as well. We have about 40 momma-cows, so it's not a very large herd.
This year was the first year we raised corn and chopped sileage, and it has really cut down on our hay consumption. We feed the sileage every day, and give the cows free-choice hay. For our herd, they are only eating 20 round bales (4x5) per month. We were fortunate to get a good first cutting of hay, because we didn't get a second cutting.
amygwen999

Postby airgrabber on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:25 am

Some background: I am uncomfortable using the original mail slot in the front door for which it was intended, plus it's the source of cold drafts and air leaks. So, I sealed it up with clear tape made for that purpose and then stuck a flimsily-constructed new flip-top mailbox on the wall in the side entryway. I really didn't like it so much, but it did the job.

Then, over the weekend...I unearthed this cool heavy metal 1920s Arts & Crafts mailbox (featuring comprehensive "patina") from an indoor flea market for only $5! How exciting! I think I will have to media blast and paint it in order to restore it's original "hammered" finish. But, I already removed the "new" mailbox (original cost: $15) and stuck the old one on the house. So, I just HAD to see if there were any "mailbox" threads existing here on the OHW after such a discovery! :twisted:

Three may keep a secret, if two are dead.
Circa 1921 Dutch Colonial Revival
airgrabber

Postby downtowndahlgren on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Unfortunately I have to use a mailbox at the street because I live in a semi-rural area, but I wanted to say that I have an identical mailbox to your black metal one. I may mount it on the door to my auto house 'cause it would look cool.
downtowndahlgren

Postby chooseopen on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Our house was a foreclosure and the PO took everything that wasn't bolted down (and some of the stuff that was). The mailbox was missing so I just bought this one for the front of ours:
Jason Elwell - Canton, IL
My 1896 Victorian - Follow our progress on our Blog
chooseopen

Postby melissakd on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Wow, a perfect period find! Congratulations AG!

My front door was new in 1890-something and has a large window; it can't have a mail slot. I've seen 900 thousand "Victorian" mailboxes, but had a terrible time was actually that old or was a reproduction. I couldn't even find PICTURES of old mailboxes. :?

MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby KathyJB on Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:33 pm

downtowndahlgren wrote:Unfortunately I have to use a mailbox at the street because I live in a semi-rural area, but I wanted to say that I have an identical mailbox to your black metal one. I may mount it on the door to my auto house 'cause it would look cool.

Well allrighty then. I think that's a wonderful reason to mount a mailbox anywhere :lol:
KathyJB

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum