dcsimg

Oh peaches...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Oh peaches...

Postby Daniel Meyer on Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:46 pm

Peaches. Lots of 'em.

I mean LOTS!

There are three peach trees in our backyard at the Old Vic. It's a bumper crop. They are are bowed to the ground with peaches. Some branches even broke.

They were not quite ripe last weekend, but they were close and many were falling anyway...making it quite interesting when I was weed-eating under the trees...

Bzzzzzzzzzz splat splut splatter SPLUT SPLATTER SPLAT splat splut splatter SPLUT SPLATTER SPLAT! Gack!

(from the wife): "You smell like peaches!"

(me licking my lips): "I taste like peaches too!"

Anyway, we expect this weekend they will be ready. We found a couple ripe ones and they were delicious.

Not sure what we're going to do with them all. I suppose I'll work on making myself sick on peaches this weekend!

I'll post pictures when we get back!
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Re: Oh peaches...

Postby PowerMuffin on Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:20 pm

I love canning peaches; however, this year I may just freeze them. You are so lucky to have those! Nothing is better in the winter than peaches you have "put up" the summer before. Yum!
Diane
PowerMuffin

Postby KathyJB on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:20 pm

OH how I wish I could buy a bunch from you to make preserves and stuff. Oh to have a bowl of Blue Bell homemade vanilla ice cream and some fresh peaches. slurp. Are you anywhere near me?
KathyJB

Postby Daniel Meyer on Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:35 pm

KathyJB wrote:Are you anywhere near me?

Heh heh...no idea. I'm in Texas, yep, but you know how big that is.

I'm in the northeast part...Clarksville to be exact.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby pqtex on Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:03 pm

No peaches, but I have a pear tree and two fig trees. Unfortunately the squirrels got most of them. I got enough figs to make one big pan of fig bars, but nothing else. I didn't get enough pears to make even one cake or jar of preserves. The squirrels were so bold. One had taken his booty to the cedar tree and sat there chomping down and looking me straight in the eye. Then he threw it at me! Bad squirrel!
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby YinzerMama on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:57 am

Somebody came and stole all of my peaches last week!!! :cry: Monday night, picked my tree clean. Very brazen, very bizarre.
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Postby Mary Alice on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:36 am

It might sound silly to some, Yinzer, but I'd have reported that to the police. Very brazen theft, indeed! :evil:
Mary Alice

Postby YinzerMama on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 am

Mary Alice wrote:It might sound silly to some, Yinzer, but I'd have reported that to the police. Very brazen theft, indeed! :evil:

A friend of mine suggested that but what are they going to do? Search every house on my street? I don't know if I should do it just in case there is a trend going on.

The irritating thing is how many people say it was probably deer or squirrel. The tree was picked CLEAN - no fruit on the ground - seems like a person to me. Or a pack of very hungry, very TALL deer... and someone would have noticed if we had tall deer running around! :mrgreen:

People also say "Oh it was probably just some kids!" Kids will steal one or two to eat, maybe a few to throw - this was an adult with a mission. Bah.
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Postby mross_pitt on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:25 am

This post happen to be you YinzerMama as well?
Or does PGH have a peach bandit?

I've seen peaches locally at $2 a pound!

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/rnr/1303375803.html
mross_pitt

Postby KathyJB on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:09 pm

YinzerMama wrote:Somebody came and stole all of my peaches last week!!! :cry: Monday night, picked my tree clean. Very brazen, very bizarre.

This happened to me and my Satsuma Orange tree. Really hacked me off because NO ONE should be trespassing on my property at any time of the day much less stealing my property. I was saving them for when Warren came home too. He didn't get any oranges last year. I am going to put a fence around it this year and keep the security light on. I kinda suspect the tilers. They had an extra guy that was kinda snoopy. I've never had a stealing problem before, so that is why I suspect them, but on the other hand, I have been noticing various plants being broken around my house in the past week, so I may have a peeper. grrr, time for a larger electricity bill because I am going to keep all the lights on and the lovely metal item in my drawer on stand by. Could be deer, but I don't think so because I only have broken plants, not eaten ones. :evil:
KathyJB

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum