dcsimg
Switch to full style
A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.
Post a reply

Re: Oh peaches...

Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:39 pm

S Melissa wrote:Image

Sounds like there's a market for more of these! 4-legged or 2 legged varmits be warned!! :D

Melissa -you after my groundhog?

Do we agree to disagree? :lol:

Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:02 am

mross_pitt wrote:This post happen to be you YinzerMama as well?
Or does PGH have a peach bandit?

I've seen peaches locally at $2 a pound!

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/rnr/1303375803.html

That was me! :lol: Or maybe you think I'm :roll:

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:27 pm

Lavender Bush - You can have groundhogs to your heart's content! I wouldn't dream of hurting your grizzled marmut :lol:

Kathy - I got this at a craft show this summer - they rusted it up so it looked "worn" - I love the thing! For now!

Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:49 pm

I love the finial and the color goes so well with your trim.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:15 am

I promised pictures...

The most productive tree...it's about a 25 footer. It had TONS of large peaches.

This tree is weighed down with them, but they are all very small (very tasty though!)

The bigger tree again...this limb is strained to the breaking point. There are already hundreds on the ground.

YUM!

About 12 pounds or so...

Twenty minutes work racked up about 50 pounds or so, all off the big tree. It still looked like I hadn't touched it.

We gave away most of those to friends and neighbors...and picked that many yet again to bring home and freeze. There are still hundreds on the tree...and had we been at the house over the last couple weeks continiously (instead of just the weekend) we could have gotten many that fell to the ground (before they fell).

Oh, and none of this counts the dozen or more I ate during my various labors this weekend!

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:47 pm

Ah, those little Texas peaches are some of the best I've ever eaten. How lucky that you have several peach varieties to enjoy!

Freezing peaches is so easy. Peel and slice them, sprinkle with a little sugar and ascorbic acid (FruitFresh or other brand) and seal in plastic freezer bags. Delicious on waffles, Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream, etc. A wonderful treat during the winter when grocery store fruit is imported from the southern hemisphere and costs an arm and a leg.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:44 pm

Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream,

Bar none the best ice cream on the planet.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:08 pm

KathyJB wrote:
Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream,

Bar none the best ice cream on the planet.

We eat all we can, and sell the rest!

Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:14 pm

My wife and I just finished canning 21 quarts of peaches. One didn't seal so I am seeing homemade peach ice cream this weekend. :-)

Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:39 pm

I am going to stop reading this post ...to much drool on the key board :lol: Nothing better then home made peach ice cream :)
Post a reply