dcsimg

Oh peaches...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Oh peaches...

Postby Daniel Meyer on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:16 am

We had cobbler last night.

Mmmmm...those peaches DO make good cobbler!
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby YinzerMama on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:06 am

I want my peaches back!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing
YinzerMama

Postby Tom on Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:10 pm

On my way, Daniel, will be there by morning......
Tom
Tom

Postby KathyJB on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:08 pm

I found out who took the oranges. IT was the guy I hired to put in the wood floors. :evil:
KathyJB

Postby eclecticcottage on Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:53 pm

After all that time?! Wow. I'd be livid...

I'm so fretful about having people over to the Cottage to do anything. When we sell stuff on CL, I meet them somewhere with it-I'd rather drag it back home than have them there. And we're lucky enough to know a GC so we only have to have him out to do work we can't do. I still can't bring myself to post garden/outside pics because I don't want someone to know which cottage is THE Cottage...
The Cottage Blog: http://eclecticcottage.blogspot.com/

Current home: 1950's Summer Cottage turned year round home (the Cottage)
-@ 700 sq ft, heated with a wood stove, on the shore of Lake Ontario
Previous home: 1920's Vernacular (the Old House)
eclecticcottage

Postby lavender_bush on Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:05 am

eclecticcottage wrote: I still can't bring myself to post garden/outside pics because I don't want someone to know which cottage is THE Cottage...

Oh sweetie :( we promise not to stalk you and I can't think that your neighbors are here on OHW.

Although having said that there was one evening when I received a private message from mgb123 (aka Richard from Florida) that my posts were being raised from the ashes by someone who know way too much about our Purple House. mgb confronted him online and I sent him a message telling him that I knew who he was and he was freaking me out.

He removed/changed the posts and I haven't seen him online since.

He worked in our local Whole Foods so I have seen him IRL, he has spoken to Nik - who to be honest didn't even recognise him :)

I have to be grateful though because his family gave so much back to the Purple House. Jade worked on the window that they returned to her and will be installed in the lobby when the porch is rebuilt and the dining room built in is perfect now that it's back in place.
lavender_bush

Postby Texas_Ranger on Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:04 pm

It's weird what people steal... back in the early 2000s when we had the big renovation in Vienna I picked up a free late 60s vintage electrolux vacuum. It was seriously beaten, held together with masking tape, but it worked like a charm. And someone stole it! I still don't get that one.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby pqtex on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:30 pm

Texas_Ranger wrote:It's weird what people steal...

Yep, I once planted a couple of dozen marigolds in whiskey barrels on the sidewalk by my office door. I usually worked late in the evenings, and one night, around 9 pm, I walked around the corner to visit another office. When I returned, I discovered that someone had dug up and stolen the newly planted flowers in the 30 minutes I'd been gone. Who steals $1.29 plants? And what audacity! My car was parked directly in front of my office and all the lights were on.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby Texas_Ranger on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:54 am

pqtex wrote:
Texas_Ranger wrote:It's weird what people steal...

Yep, I once planted a couple of dozen marigolds in whiskey barrels on the sidewalk by my office door. I usually worked late in the evenings, and one night, around 9 pm, I walked around the corner to visit another office. When I returned, I discovered that someone had dug up and stolen the newly planted flowers in the 30 minutes I'd been gone. Who steals $1.29 plants? And what audacity! My car was parked directly in front of my office and all the lights were on.

*omg* That's even more brazen and weird than walking off a construction site with a beaten-looking vacuum and a 20-year-old hand saw!

Must have been the carpenters who also butchered our floor in one section of a room (we asked them to patch a small section of original herringbone next to the new stuff they had installed and they did it, stitching together odd-sized boards with huge gaps filled with green expanding foam). One guy left his phone and we actually handed it back before we noticed the stolen items.
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby lisascenic on Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:29 pm

We don't have peaches, but whoo boy, do we have plums! The harvest has just ended, and we made loads of jam and wine!

This is last year's wine, that we transferred into bottles this week. Dry, plummy and a bit raw.

Our final harvest.

Next up: pluots from a tree I planted three years ago, and then persimmons!
lisascenic

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum