Old House Pets

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Old House Pets

Postby Ttowle on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:07 pm

We lost our 8 year old norwegian forest cat not long ago. He weighed over 30 pounds and was a real sweetheart. A few weeks ago, I had my son over for fish............well, another visitor stopped by as well, our new kitty, Tinkertoes Marie. It turns out that a drunk had dropped her off at a neighbors house and she was out exploring. She loves living with my daughter and I and is growing like a weed.
Attachments
484433_4151018132437_1108220569_n.jpg
484433_4151018132437_1108220569_n.jpg (25.23 KiB) Viewed 11732 times
1925 Florida land-boom bungalow
Ttowle

Postby utopia13 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Awwww....your new fur baby is adorable!!! :D
utopia13

Postby nezwick on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:08 am

Just thought I'd throw these the mix - here are our six children all lined up for breakfast this morning (they don't often eat together since 3 of them are somewhat food-aggressive). Sorry, my iPhone takes terrible pictures in less-than-perfect lighting. Maybe I'll gather up some proper photos of them all to share with you guys.

From left to right: Bella, Neeko, Onyx, Dimitri, Diamond, and Anya. Diamond and Onyx are Feline Leukaemia positive and they were abandoned by some heartless ****.

The McCullough/Simkins house, built 1872-1877:
Progress thread on Old House Web
nezwick

Postby jade mortimer on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:43 am

........and adopted by a very special person (people)...how fortunate they are...all my babies are pound or rescue critters...i have been blessed with each and every one...

...jade
jade mortimer

Postby pqtex on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:16 pm

Here are my three...also all rescues or strays. Each of them should be named "Lucky"...
PeeBee is in the pet carrier. He sleeps in it every chance he gets. I had to roust him out to take Ranger for his anuual vet checkup yesterday. Ranger's weight gain didn't please the vet, so the free-feeding at the trough days are officially over.

Izzie is the "newcomer" as she was adopted in 2006 after I moved here. She belonged to neighbors who moved and abandoned her. She wishes she could be an only child, but she tolerates the "boys" most of the time.

Ranger is the dominant cat, but is the most laid-back cat I have ever seen. He showed up at my office just before Christmas in 2002. Already neutered and full-grown, I don't know where he came from or how he happened upon my office with busy highway frontage. He is a sweetheart. He came at the best time in the world for me when I went through several really rough spots all together. Unconditional love.

PeeBee was adopted from the pound in 2004 to be a companion to Ranger. PeeBee was a small, 6 week old kitten and Ranger had immense patience for the little hooligan. They are nearly inseparable. PeeBee is the comedian of the group.
Attachments
peebee in carrier.jpg
peebee in carrier.jpg (73.8 KiB) Viewed 11694 times
ranger and feather.jpg
ranger and feather.jpg (154.99 KiB) Viewed 11694 times
izzie in box.jpg
izzie in box.jpg (105.62 KiB) Viewed 11695 times
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby downtowndahlgren on Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Oh, your Izzie could be a twin of my Hatoul - one of my 17 year old sister cats. Hatoul is a 7-toed polydactyl, but although she eats like a wild hog, she's a bony gal. She's also weird (seriously). Izzie looks so pleasant and normal!
downtowndahlgren

Postby pqtex on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:29 pm

Amazing...Izzie is a polydactyl also. Front and back. Izzie may look normal in this photo, but in reality she has definite quirks. She'll rub her head against your hand or foot and expect to be petted. If, for any reason, you stop before she is ready for you to stop, she'll take a nip. She had the boys terrified when I first took her in. They were used to making friends and never expected someone new to go on the attack. She has mellowed a lot. She tolerates the boys, but will never sleep cuddled up with either of them. She will rub up against Ranger and if he looks at her, she smacks him hard in the face. Izzie is very fastidious and is very calm...unless one of the boys is breathing her air or looking out the same window. Just like kids. All are friendly to people...friends, family, strangers. They love attention. for me, a house without a cat just wouldn't be home.

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby downtowndahlgren on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:31 am

Pqtex, I believe that polydactylism is more common among tortoiseshell cats than other colorations (courtesy of Animal Planet). Your Izzie's quirks sound hilarious. I wish Hatoul was affectionate - she spends the entire day alone in one bedroom or hiding in a kitchen cabinet - always has! And the only times she'll ever approach me are if I'm lying in bed or if I'm, um, "occupied" in the bathroom. I guess she figures if "Mom" is using her "litterbox", then she's not a threat. :roll:
downtowndahlgren

Postby pqtex on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:45 am

downtowndahlgren wrote:Pqtex, I believe that polydactylism is more common among tortoiseshell cats than other colorations (courtesy of Animal Planet). Your Izzie's quirks sound hilarious. I wish Hatoul was affectionate - she spends the entire day alone in one bedroom or hiding in a kitchen cabinet - always has! And the only times she'll ever approach me are if I'm lying in bed or if I'm, um, "occupied" in the bathroom. I guess she figures if "Mom" is using her "litterbox", then she's not a threat. :roll:

I didn't know about the more prevalent extra toes with the tortoiseshellls. All I know is that she is so cute with her paws that look like mittens and what looks like an opposable thumb!

The other thing...about our cats' friendliness when we are occupied in the bathroom. I do not know why that is true, but as soon as I sit, they all come running for extra attention. I used to have a cat like yours, that was a bit anti-social (okay, a LOT anti-social). If it was on her terms, fine, but if I wanted to pet her, giver her medicine, or needed to take her to the vet, she would bolt or scram or hide out. All I had to do was walk into the bathroom and sit on the throne. She would come running and I could get her in my arms. She never learned to outwit me on that one. :)

pqtex

Postby Daniel Meyer on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Pierre is a polydactyl also.

7 toes each front foot, and 6 on each back.

http://theoldvictorian.com/2011/03/22/c ... e-control/

http://theoldvictorian.com/page/2/?s=pierre
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum