I hate my old windows

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Vaso7

I hate my old windows

Post by Vaso7 »

If I had the money I would have them stacked by the trash and replaced them with double hangs as fast as I could.
What kind of builder/architect thought that casement windows is a good idea???? In New England never the less. Build a house with hundreds of windows that can not have storms! Gee... I think I am the only house in the area with no storms.

So here is the story. My otherwise well built home has old casement windows dated 1903. They hang from hinges and they close with a single latch. Of course they have 8 glass panes each to make re-glazing a nightmare and they open to the outside so I can not put storm to the outside. The house is tall and massive so getting a ladder and screw storms to the outside is prohibiting. I am getting old and can not see me doing that every fall for 50 windows unless I hire a company ($$). The best I can do is re-glaze them, put new bronze stripping and secure the hinges and the latch. I can order storms for inside that will help for the cold but will not help in protecting my brand new glazing all winter long. By the way does anybody have experience with inside storms? I did get a quote from a local company and I almost passed out. Darn New England prices.

And then, during the summer what am I going to do? In my old house we had double hangs and I had them open all summer long with no worries. There is no way I ll have my flimsy casements literary "hanging" off my home exposed to all weather for 3 months. Every time it sprinkles I have to run frantically and close them all. Did I say "darn" enough times.

I had the thought to restore them and then seal them for eternity with outside storms never to be opened again. I am getting crazy :?
1902 Shingle
Designed by Wales&Holt for Mr and Mrs W. A. Cary

PowerMuffin

Re: I hate my old windows

Post by PowerMuffin »

Hmmm. I love the look of casement windows and thought that I would rather have them than double-hungs. Now I feel better. I do remember seeing a thread here that talked about interior storms; you might search for that thread.
Diane

Daniel Meyer

Post by Daniel Meyer »

We have casements in the sunroom...with 15 lights per side...times 8 windows (16 sides)...for 240 panes to reglaze just in that one room (and every last one needs it).

We intend to do that, then hang interior storms (I'll make them) that are simple interior casements with lift-off hinges that we can open the storms flush against the wall (but only every other window methinks) or lift off (to open all the windows) and also make lift-off casement screens to replace the storms when appropriate.

Or maybe "pull out" screens if we can find some we like...

They are painted inside and out...when we reglaze we'll do so again and use exterior oil so they should be fairly durable.

Haven't gotten that far yet. (sigh).
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com

moonshadow317

Post by moonshadow317 »

Our living room windows are all leaded glass casements. We have interior wood storms on all. They are all screwed in with 4 long screws each. One small one had no interior storm and I rigged one to fit by cutting down a sash window and connecting it back with L brackets. I also made a screen for it. The screen has to be removed to open and close the window. I know what you mean by running to close the widow when it rains but then again I run and close all my sash windows when it rains too :D They are not as complicated but I hate to think of what the rain will do to my sills after repairing a couple that had rotted due to widow air conditioners that the PO left in year round. The casements are doing fine being exposed to the weather year round. I do check them in the spring and if they need repair I scrape and reglaze them as I go. They have been in place for 75 years and are still good as new.
I think that once you fix them up things will go a lot smoother.
Karen

Vaso7

Post by Vaso7 »

I am going through the window blues right now. I hired a guy to help me restore a few that are a mess so hopefully it will go well. Then when the weather dries I need to do all the sills. Just to do the sills it will take me months. And the summer only lasts 3 months NOT ENOUGH for the massive reglazing I need to do. And I am not that good at glazing....But there is hope. Always there is hope.....The guy that I hired told me that those windows left abandoned and still survived 107 years so I should relaxed!

So, how to you make the inside storms to fit the frame "snug"?
1902 Shingle

rodpaine

Post by rodpaine »

PowerMuffin wrote:Snip... I do remember seeing a thread here that talked about interior storms; you might search for that thread.
Diane
I have info about the interior insulating windows I use on my webpage here. You'll have to deal with your window crank handles, perhaps simply taking them off along with an interior frame to position the internal window for proper clearance.
-Rod

Vaso7

Post by Vaso7 »

Thanks Rod.
Could you tell me how much those storms cost?
1902 Shingle

s.kelly

Post by s.kelly »

Vaso, I had some loose figures from a similar product this summer at a trade show. I think for my 30something x 60 something windows it was in the vicinity of 200 a window. There are resources out there on building your own as well if you are more adventurous(sp?)

Rod, this year is when I finally have to get to it and start work on my windows, that is a fantastic resource. I have gathered some other materials so I hopefully do not have to reinvent the wheel at every step, now I have one more.

Vaso7

Post by Vaso7 »

I am crunching number all day and I do not think I afford to buy the storms. My current thinking is to pay someone to teach me how to make them myself. My windows are all exactly the same so once one is done the rest will be carbon copies. I already talked to my restoration guy and he said he is willing to build a storm for me and show me how it is done for a very reasonable price. My windows already have a small inside frame that could be used to rest the storm. I think money wise it is worth a try.

I want to add that my second floor has 24 windows and my third floor has 16 windows. All are 22x48. My first floor has double panes (p.o. to blame) and a few old ones with outside storms that are reachable with a small ladder so I am keeping them. I also have 2 giant leaded screen windows but those the minute I get the money I am installing permanent outside storms and seal them for eternity.
Last edited by Vaso7 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1902 Shingle

Don M

Post by Don M »

My mother's house in Denver had interior storms over her aluminum casements. Hers had sliding windows in the inside storms so she could access her window locks & cranks which allowed her to open the windows in the summer without removing the interior storms. They worked quite well although washing the windows was a real chore! I doubt from the description of your windows that this same system would work for you unless only opening one side of your casements is reasonable. Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse