Old houses...old lawnmowers?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

YinzerMama

Re: Old houses...old lawnmowers?

Post by YinzerMama »

melissakd wrote: By the way, the whole pollution thing is baloney IMO. If you use a gas mower, the fuel becomes energy, and you get all the exhaust, right there in your yard. If you use an electric mower, all the pollution happens far away, at the power plant. The main difference is the scrubbers they have in their stacks, which are better than anything available to the home enthusiast. If your husband really wants to commit, he could buy a solar panel to feed your recharging unit. Or make a battery out of two onion tops and a jar of vinegar. :D
I will have to run this by him. However I suspect the hot air he generates b*tching about the gas mowers is more polluting than either the electric or gas mower, so it's a wash.
1938 or '39 craftsman-like bungalow-like kinda thing

Kansas. 1911.

Post by Kansas. 1911. »

I have missed you, Yinzer. You crack me up.
American Foursquare with Prairie and Colonial Revival influences

ImageImage

YinzerMama

Post by YinzerMama »

Kansas. 1911. wrote:I have missed you, Yinzer. You crack me up.
Why thank you! :)

We got our mower. It seems to work well...

melissakd

Post by melissakd »

I don't know whether to be happy for you because the resulting reduction in indoor hot-air emissions is just in time for the spring/summer cooling season, or disappointed because now you can't find a way to harness him for, let us say, laundry purposes, or perhaps a ballooning hobby.

I've missed you too.

:) MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt

YinzerMama

Post by YinzerMama »

melissakd wrote:I don't know whether to be happy for you because the resulting reduction in indoor hot-air emissions is just in time for the spring/summer cooling season, or disappointed because now you can't find a way to harness him for, let us say, laundry purposes, or perhaps a ballooning hobby.

I've missed you too.

:) MKD

Thank you. :D

No laundry or balloon skills... but our yard looks very nice. Black and Decker 19 inch.

Mury

Post by Mury »

The POs left us a Scotts Classic reel mower. After years of tuneups and fighting to get the gas mower to work, it's a relief! We only have .12 acres though so it's a 30 minute job.
Marie

1900ish Victorianish

YinzerMama

Post by YinzerMama »

The thing with reel mowers is I find they don't work on the random skinny strips when you don't have enough OOMPH to get going... we have a Great States (I think?) one where it works well enough on the MAIN parts... its the details and edging where it's horrible. Fences and under bushes...

Don M

Post by Don M »

I once had a gas powered reel mower which did a beautiful job cutting grass evenly. Today with a large yard I have a Husqvarna 48" riding mower, a 21" push power mower & a weed trimmer. It takes quite awhile to do the yard with all three! Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse

fritos56

Post by fritos56 »

8) Hi,I'm a newbie here. Well, I don't have a really old mower,it was purchased in the late 1980s,early 90s by my late father.
However, the stove I use is a Sears kenmore gas stove that my parents bought in the 1950s.The stove is as old as I am.
The metal canister set which i repainted belonged to momma,and she bought them back in the 1960s.
Oh yeah, forgot i still have my dad's Sears weed wacker from the 70s that still works.

khwils

Post by khwils »

I can remember my father using his gas-powered reel mower, sometime in the late 60's or early 70's. He replaced it with some new-fangled rotary machine! Of course, being the pack rat that he is, the old reel mower is still sitting in his shed(old chicken coop). I'm sure it has something wrapped over it to protect it. Hmmm, I wonder how long it would take me to mow 5 acres with a 20" reel motor!

i might have to dig it out and try to start it up for fun!

I can remember him sharpening the blades but I don't remember if he used a file or stones.

Kurt