The Old Housing Market

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: The Old Housing Market

Postby aberdeen606 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Still working on the pictures...im sort of going through that 'too much to do too little time' phase right now. Boy, it seems like by the time I get home from work around 5 I have hardly no time to "fun stuff" (aka housework) before bedtime and then its back up at 5 again. But I have managed to unstick three more windows and sand them into moveable/operational status...and I got all 5 of them done upstairs in the unfinished attic where I'm working (that makes a total of 12 out of 26 windows that can open now!...almost at 50percent!! Now just have to build screens) Still working, building walls upstairs in the unfinished attic. I took a piece of trim up there to paint the other day, and then I realized that one day some future owner will probably hate me when they pull back the (future) carpet one day and see that I paint splattered and ruined a perfectly good original plywood floor... :wink:

Melissa, I'm going to check around to see if walmart or somewhere could put those old movies on CD. I know it can be done, I just don't know where. I've seen lots of places online that will do it for you for a bazillion bucks, but thing is most places local don't have 8mm projectors (even the library).
Colmer-Boldt House, c. 1886
south Mississippi
aberdeen606

Postby melissakd on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:57 pm

My dad recently picked one up on Craigslist, and we've been watching old home movies of Dad's childhood and my own early years. I ought to look into this myself, because the movies are great. One of Grandfather on the roof installing a new, state-of-the-art TV ANTENNA...another of little me trundling my baby carriage through the house...etc. Wonderful fun also to see the decor, furniture, cars and houses, theirs and the neighbors'.

MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby Don M on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:21 am

I have my family's old 8mm home movies but my Dad's old projector broke at a reunion a couple of years ago. Apparently those old films deteriorate over time to the point they are unsalvageable. I've been thinking of having them converted to CDs before that happens then I can give copies to my sisters.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby tylerstacer on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:03 am

In our city of Augusta in ME, there are many old houses which are vacant. Some of this vacant houses are for sale. If any one want to see images of this old charm please reply me.
tylerstacer

Postby ferrisD on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:51 am

hey guys, what do you think of this statistic?

http://www.statista.com/statistics/2891 ... se-prices/

is it representing the general old house market or does this go for UK only?
ferrisD

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum