Vintage fan injuries??

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Vintage fan injuries??

Postby rehabbingisgreen » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Seriously has anyone heard stories or experienced injuries from the old fans? I haven't personally heard of any but wow they whip around and look scary. I do have a few ♥ fans.
rehabbingisgreen

Re: Vintage fan injuries??

Postby pqtex » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:54 pm

I remember putting dabs of my mother's cold cream onto the center hub of the fan (while it was moving) to watch the swirly patterns it made. :shock: Hey, I was a kid. Never was injured though. I also used to spray hair spray into the bathroom gas wall heater to watch the pretty colors it created when it went POOF! Never set the house on fire, either. We also had a real archery set and wood burning kits. My injuries usually came from "normal" activities, such as climbing trees, bicycle wrecks, sliding into second base, fish hooks in the thumb. You know, normal stuff. :lol:
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby rehabbingisgreen » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:32 pm

OMG :shock:

LOL kept busy I see :lol:
rehabbingisgreen

Postby pqtex » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:58 pm

rehabbingisgreen wrote:OMG :shock:

LOL kept busy I see :lol:

I am the youngest of three kids...and the only girl. Based on her experiences with me and my brothers, my mother says that boys are easier to raise. :roll:

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby artfox » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:06 pm

There were still a lot of pre-WWII oscillating and stationary electric fans in use when I was a kid - the kind with widely-spaced wire "safety grilles". I never knew anyone to get hurt from sticking their fingers or anything else in one. Seems like some models had semi-flexible rubber blades that were marketed as being safer. Of course, we didn't live in a litigious society like we do today.
artfox

Postby pqtex » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:27 pm

My father's workshop still has one mounted on the ceiling rafter. It doesn't even HAVE a wire grill. Hasn't been used in years, but it was still working when he was using the shop. I remember sleeping with an oscillating fan in my bedroom when I was a kid. I can also remember my mother telling me not to stick my fingers in the fan.

pqtex

Postby angolito » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:03 pm

oh HELL yeah. i griped at my HC for months that the giagantic airplane propeller posing as an attic fan was going to HURT Someone. it was me. :shock: i knew i was in trouble when i felt pieces of my finger and wet stuff spray across my face. don't know if you can see this photo, but

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sha ... s-_-Sharee
angolito

Postby rehabbingisgreen » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:23 pm

angolito wrote:oh HELL yeah. i griped at my HC for months that the giagantic airplane propeller posing as an attic fan was going to HURT Someone. it was me. :shock: i knew i was in trouble when i felt pieces of my finger and wet stuff spray across my face. don't know if you can see this photo, but

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sha ... s-_-Sharee

Oh yeah I saw that, ouchie!!
rehabbingisgreen

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:16 pm

angolito....what were you doing around the attic fan when it was on??? :shock:
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Postby wletson » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:53 am

I have an awesome old Electrohome table top fan with the 6 wire safety cage on it. I runs perfectly, but I'm afraid of the cat's tail getting caught up in it, so I avoid using it. Well, okay, maybe because I'm also a bit accident prone too.

Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum