Happy Fall Ya'll

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Happy Fall Ya'll

Postby KathyJB on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:22 pm

We have been experiencing wonderful weather starting this Monday. Low 80's during the day and upper 50's at night. My a/c didn't come on all day. I had the windows open, but some idgit was burning stinking stuff around 11:00am so I closed them. I think it was the guy tearing down an old house. I should say old shack. :D Anyone spot the new thingys? hint: even my outdoor light looks like an acorn. :wink:
Attachments
cala 011.jpg
cala 011.jpg (88.72 KiB) Viewed 17158 times
cala 008.jpg
cala 008.jpg (97.83 KiB) Viewed 17165 times
KathyJB

Re: Happy Fall Ya'll

Postby dalmatiangirl61 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:32 am

Ya'll, did you really say ya'll :shock: ??? Thats one of those Texas sayings you just can't get rid of, no matter how far you travel :lol: . Way back when in college at ERAU thats the one thing that pegged me as a Texas girl :D . I'd walk into a room full of people and say "Hi, how ya'll doing", then I'd hear this echo of ya'll, ya'll, ya'll, ya'll going around the room, what the heck, did they really expect me to say "you all" :lol: . Your Acorn light looks great! Where'd you find that? We're having a warm fall out in Nevada, daytime temps in the low 80's and nights in the low 30's, it's wonderfully brisk in the mornings :D . I saw all the candy in the store tonight :roll: , I guess it's that time of year again, better fuel-up the tiki torches, I wonder what else I can come up with this year :evil: .

Kristin
McGill Clubhouse
dalmatiangirl61

Postby lisascenic on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:39 am

We're having a late summer spell of hot weather. Our little old house lacks curtains, and really heats up.
lisascenic

Postby matchbookhouse on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:49 am

We're apparently having some sort of huge rainstorm tonight and tomorrow (flood warnings are posted); then it will truly be sunny, crisp fall weather here in greater downtown Dahlgren. BTW, y'all is also definitely a VA expression too! What's great is that it can be combined so effectively with other idioms, for example: "Oy vey! Y'all gotta clean up this mess!" :roll:
matchbookhouse

Postby wletson on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:12 am

Are those corner brackets permanent? The porch looks great!!!! :D

just so you know, we are going down to freezing this weekend. :(
Last edited by wletson on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image1883 Schoolhouse, rural Ontario, Canada
warren
wletson

Postby pqtex on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:09 am

It may be fall, but the grass is still growing and still needs mowing!
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby KathyJB on Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:47 pm

Yep, just said Ya'll. If you heard me speak in real life, you would probably chuckle. Recently I took 3 of my friends and my sister to Warrenton, Tx to the Antiques Week. Now that was some interesting dialect. 100% Texas Twang.

I was planning on mowing today Jill. It's slowed down a bit with the cooler nights. I have a nasty White Fly infestation so I've taken out all the dead plants and cut back all the live ones. My flower beds are really bare. I bought some Neem yesterday and have declared WAR.

I got those corner brackets, (ding, ding, ding, we have a winner) at Warrenton. They are metal and use 3 screws to attach. The detail in the acorns and leaves are really pretty. I couldn't pass it up, my gal is from the 50's ya know. I was trying to find wood cornices there, but they were all Victorian. Even though my posts aren't metal, I think it looks pretty good. :D
KathyJB

Postby Mrs._d on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:46 pm

I love love love your corner brackets. Got any more of them? Will ya'll me some Kathy JB?
Mrs. D
The Wrolstad-Quien House 1893
http://www.1893victorianfarmhouse.blogspot.com/

Mrs. D
"Move forward and do what you have to do"
Mrs._d

Postby oldhouseluvr on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:28 pm

Happy Fall to you, Kathy! I love your new brackets, too. Are you going to leave them up year 'round?
oldhouseluvr

Postby KathyJB on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:45 pm

Yes I'm going to leave the brackets up. I'll take down the Autumn flags after Thanksgiving. Can you believe tomorrow is the last day in September?
KathyJB

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum