The problem with plumbing...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Nutty old house owners...

Postby pqtex on Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm

sooth wrote:Jill, I almost died laughing at: "I could probably qualify to work for Cirque du Soleil now as a contortionist."

A lot of people probably thing that old house owners like us are just nuts. I'm thankful that when I bought the house, a lot of the hard work/expensive stuff was already done.

Now that I think about it :idea: maybe they need a toilet act! They certainly have thought of everything else! :)

And I have to confess...that while I have always loved this house because of warm family memories, I am an old house owner by default. I loved the big city. I loved living in a low maintenance zero-lot line house. I had a small successful business and a lot of free time which I spent on hiking trips and canoe trips on wild and scenic rivers. Then my elderly father was diagnosed with Alzheimers. I moved back to my hometown and into my great-grandfather's house next door to my parents. I wouldn't change a thing about my choices or priorities except to wave a magic wand and (POOF!) have the financial wherewithal pay someone competent to finish everything before I ever moved into it. Since that didn't happen, my second choice would be to wave the magic wand again (POOF! POOF!) and win the lottery so I could pay to have everything finished before I am too old and decrepit to enjoy it. :)
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Re: The problem with plumbing...

Postby pmgravy on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:31 pm

I have read through the other replies on this subject and have gleaned several helpful items but would like some further advice. My home was built in 1913 and it appears to have had most of the plumbing stacks replaced. However, the toilet connections to those stacks on the Master bath and the 3rd floor bath appear to be super old and patched with lead and some kind of rubber patch and have generally deteriorated to the point of a small leak on the second floor Master bath toilet. I will have to rip up the floor around the toilet on the second floor to get access for replacing that drain, which I had not planned on but is not too terrible. The 3rd floor bathroom I had planned on ripping that floor up anyway, and re-doing it. However, I do not want to replace the cast iron stacks that are in good shape. What I would like to do is cut sections out of the stack starting below the master bath and ending above the 3rd floor toilet stack or even leave a section between the two parts I would remove. Then I would have to join the new to the old by some means but I'm not familiar with how that could be accomplished. Can someone advise me please? I am in an never ending cycle of fixing/improving but going to have to turn it over to some one else who is at least younger and hopefully at least as capable as myself. I have done a lot of plumbing and have almost totally replaced the galvanized plumbing with copper or PEX. I am very pleased with the PEX so far and intend to replace the remaining few galvanized pipes with it before I call it quits. Unfortunately, I can't afford to have some one do it for me. I appreciate any advice I can get.
Thanks,
pmgravy
pmgravy

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum