Naming your house?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Naming your house?

Postby Thomolli on Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:50 pm

Has anyone here "named" their house? What did you name it and how did you come up with the name? I want to name our house. Hubby thinks I'm mostly nuts but humors me but I figure after what I have already been through and all the restoration we have ahead of us we should name it. So, other than saying my house is called ____, how do you get your house to be "known" by it's name? The house is on the National Register because it sits in a historic district, wonder if I can name it? I have come up with the name "Twinne Celyn" which translates to Thomas and Holly and after I plant two Holly trees in the front it will have a double meaning. Am I being totally pretentious ?
Thomolli

Re: Naming your house?

Postby Neighmond on Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:27 pm

Mine all had names that appealed to their characters.

The latest is called the Dog House, because I'm always in it.
Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A Man without a Dream is Dead

http://fromthedoolhousetothedoghouse.blogspot.com/
Neighmond

Postby Daniel Meyer on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:02 pm

Everything we put part of ourselves in deserves a name.

Heck, I name most of my vehicles!

Of course, our house came with a name...several actually...

Old Vic
The Hemingway House (Doak Sr's daughter...got it after he passed away and that family had it until we bought it)
The Doak House (original builder/owner)
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author. Adventurer. Electrician. Cat God.
http://theoldvictorian.com
http://lifeisaroad.com
Daniel Meyer

Postby James on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:18 pm

I named mine when I did not find a historic name during the national register nomination process. I figured all old Southern plantation houses deserved a name. Might not have done it if it had been a town house. But this county is full of old named plantation houses.
I picked Locust for the locust trees that are all over the property. They spring up every time you don't cut the grass for a couple of weeks and would quickly take over if you let them(tho it does bring to mind visions of biblical plagues, but there are days that seems appropriate). Quarter because I wanted something that didn't sound like a cemetary or a subdivision, but did sound historic. There is a house in Virginia called Horn Quarter, and one called Hunting Quarter also. Hunting Quarter is only about three counties away, also a gambrell, and was the home of President William Henry Harrisons brother, if I am getting my history correct. But a MUCH grander house. Five dormers across instead of my two.
Last edited by James on Fri May 06, 2011 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby lisascenic on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:25 pm

Twinne???

Unless you're actually in Wales, or of Welsh ancestry, I would say that this name might just be a teensy bit pretentious.

I can't say anything about Americans using Welsh names without referencing:

http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/6.html
lisascenic

Postby shazapple on Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:33 am

I usually call it "Friggin' Neil" (the name of the PO).
shazapple

Postby cadrad on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:35 pm

I thought about naming mine but it does seem pretentious unless you have acres of land and servants. Then you can put it on hand laid cotton rag deckle edge stationary and leave it in the writing desks in the guest wing. That way guest can write their friends while they are waiting for their trunks to be brought round. if i were going to name mine, it would be Ravenscrye or Radcliffe ( the e on the end makes it fancy), but alas, there are no ravens or cliffs nearby and the servants have packed up and left (and left behind some pretty ugly wallpaper) :D
Steven R.
muskegon MI
Charles E. Johnson house
1916 prairie style
visit my new profile at http://www.wavyglass.org
cadrad

Postby Civil War Seamstress on Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:22 pm

My son named our house The Wackyshack. And man did it ever live up to its name.

Maybe if I ever reach my vision for the house I could rename it "The Stained Glass Cottage".
but right now I don't even have the stained glass doors installed to call it anything but it's given name.

Update May 1 2011. Last week I did get the first of 3 doors installed. When painted I will post pictures.
Last edited by Civil War Seamstress on Sun May 01, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/
Civil War Seamstress

Postby angolito on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:29 am

our house is said to have been a home for unwed mothers during ww1 so i call her the wayward girl. mother is rolling in her grave. LOL i do have cocktail napkins with that embossed on them.

it is a tradition to name even the smallest beach cottages so eve our still vacant house looking house has a name. i did forgo the weathered sign hanging from hooks on the porch however. :D
angolito

Postby artfox on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:27 pm

Many of my Hispanic neighbors have cast metal signs on their homes with the street number and family name: i.e. "Casa Ramirez", "Casa Espinosa", and so on.

Somehow, "Casa Johnson" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Since my house is built of mixed red brick, maybe it could be named "Casa Roja".
artfox

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum