Naming your house?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Naming your house?

Postby Lynners on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:11 pm

I ever so fondly refer to my house as The Crackhouse.

It never WAS a crackhouse, it just looks like hell :(
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com
Lynners

Postby aberdeen606 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:51 pm

Debut Nouveau for new beginning, which is what it was for me when I moved here. There's a lot of French influence along the gulf coast. I'm just a stone throw away from Jefferson Davis's Beauvoir (Beautiful View).
Colmer-Boldt House, c. 1886
south Mississippi
aberdeen606

Postby Don M on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Our place is Stirrup Cup Farm which I inherited from my parents. My Dad use to say if you couldn't get anything else at their place one could always get a drink! :wink: The name that came with our present home is Indian Springs Farm because there were 17 natural springs on the property & local indians use to camp there. Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby McCall on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:56 am

The house I am in on Cape Cod was built by my Grandfather and used to be known as Keeper Howard's house, since he built it when he retired from the Lighthouse service. He, his brother George and his Father were all lighthouse keepers. My Grandfather was credited with saving 38 lives over his career.

I don't know what I would call the house we bought in Weirton WV. Don't know enough of it's history yet. Weirton being a Steel town and it being a corner house, it might have belonged to a foreman or supervisor but maybe not too, once I actually get down there to live, or for a long time working on it, I hope to investigate it further if possible.

I do know that the locals called it the Haunted house because it sat empty there for ten years. Now it is going to sit empty mostly for another five or so before we move there I believe.

I have a full range of Ghost hunting equipment and so far on my visits there have not found any "activity" but you never know.
The Opposite of Love is not Hate, But Indifference!
McCall

Postby lisascenic on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:12 am

What gear is needed for ghost detection?
lisascenic

Postby emmy on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:57 am

I have a simple, yet honest name for my humble abode: THE MONEY PIT :lol:
emmy

Postby matchbookhouse on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:10 pm

To be historically correct, my house should be named "Hayden House", because it was built by Logan Hayden, a ship's carpenter. Although Logan built at least six other houses surrounding mine for his relatives and as rentals, mine was the only house that he and his wife ever lived in. However, my "cutesy" name for it is "Catspaw Cottage", since (a) I have 5 rescue cats, and (b), that's the name of my antiques business. (BTW, my late hubby used to refer to our former home as "Kling's Katzhouse", but I didn''t want to use that here as I was afraid my elderly neighbors might think it was a bordello!)
matchbookhouse

Postby KathyJB on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:50 pm

I just call my house, "home". :) I do call our crew cab dually "the tank".
KathyJB

Postby 1880 Stick Victorian on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:38 pm

when we lived in a canyon on the peninsula of washington state, we had a small 1000 sq ft cabin on two acres we called "dogwood" for the seven native dogwood trees that were on the property. When we moved to upstate NY, being newbies in this small rural village, we would often be asked if we were the two that bought the old Ohmann house...when speaking to the remaining previous owner: Mrs. Ohmann, we were told it was referred to back then as the old Marshall house when they lived here... so i guess her name changes with each owner but taking the name of the previous owner. I guess we'll have to move (never happen) or die before she gets our name... :?
Theo. & Alice Fries House
Lyons, New York - 1880
1880 Stick Victorian

Postby Don M on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:44 am

My in-laws farm was called Shepley Hill Orchard because it was an apple orchard on Shepley Hill in Groton, MA. Our niece has taken the name & running fox logo for her equine operation & calls it Shepley Hill Farm. Don
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum