dcsimg

Naming your house?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Naming your house?

Postby kat on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:58 pm

All southern "homes" need a name...
kat

Postby kat on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:05 am

U could name it after original owner, but good southern homes are called something descriptive,
Oak Manor, twin oaks, tara,

Mine came w the name Farmer's Delight
kat

Postby James on Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:56 am

Kat, have you seen the pictures of your place on Flickr? They are in History Ramblers photostream, just two shots. I did not realize how far back from the road you are.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby SignPainter on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:59 pm

I have seen in Annapolis I believe where the homeowners named the house a hyphenated name, the first last name being the original builder or owner and the second last name being the current owners who added a major addition. The result was something like the "Haines-Newhart House". I liked how the current owners where able to weave themselves into the formal history of the house by naming it this way. I have the article from Annapolis in my files in anyone is interested in a clarification.
ImageGallery of Hand Painted Wood Historic House and Custom Made Signs by http://www.HandPaintedWoodSigns.com
SignPainter

Postby sooth on Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:45 am

There's a house named this way in my city as well. The Fraser-Smart House (Fraser being the original owner).
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby kat on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks james, would have never known they were there..yea I am back here, although I have a neighbor about 1/2 mile behind me w the trees and lay of land cant see any.other house

I am surprised who ever it was,didnt come up to the house although I have no tresspassing signs at road, many have come to look at the house,...i mostly enjoy when its a former tennant...their love for this house is amazing, and times were hard they were black tennants in the 40, 50 and 60's life was hard on a farm

But I understand bc my grandmother had a much smaller shack on 40 acres that is gone but still well loved

Very Intetesting site, I could spend too much time on it!
kat

Postby vivian7 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:03 am

I want to name my house!! Down the street, we have a Second Empire beauty named the Constant-Gaussin House (previous owners).

I'm thinking ours could be "The Judge Stapp House" after the justice of the peace who resided here for many years. Then again, I think I'd almost like something a little more romantic.... Something ____ Cottage or the like. Ought to be "Dog Hair Cottage" but I digress.... LOL Our BBQ team is called "Barkin' Mad BBQ." :)

"Don't fight it, son. Confess quickly! If you hold out too long you could jeopardize your credit rating."
vivian7

Postby Hoosier Foursquare on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:40 pm

After we purchased our house we heard a couple of different informal/formal names thrown around by different people that either knew the family or history of the house. Most of them called it "The Patton House" after the PO's. The wife was the grand-daughter of the original builder/owner, Carl Furst.

After seeing daddy involved with the terrible mess of demolition, my three year old son came up with a much better more aptly suited name......."The Broken House"

Vivian - Where in Bedford do you live? I'm over on the corner of 14th & "O" north of BMS.
Hoosier Foursquare

Postby vivian7 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:19 pm

We're at 18th & I near St. Vincent. I know quite a few people on your corner!

Going to the downtown revitalization meeting Monday at 4?

"Don't fight it, son. Confess quickly! If you hold out too long you could jeopardize your credit rating."
vivian7

Postby vivian7 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Oh and I knew the previous owner of your lovely home--Ann. Your carriage house is one of my favorite buildings in town!

vivian7

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum