Naming your house?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Naming your house?

Postby waycoolmom1 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:48 pm

The most recent name prior to my working on the house was "Grandmother's House". Since I have unpleasant memories from the time period when the house was occupied by my grandmother, my mom and I decided to start calling it "The Beach House". The color scheme in the entry has sort of a beach theme. I even found a sign at a local store to hang near the entry that says "Beach House - Crabs Gather Here".
waycoolmom1

Postby JoeRomero on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:59 am

Thomolli wrote:Has anyone here "named" their house? What did you name it and how did you come up with the name? I want to name our house. Hubby thinks I'm mostly nuts but humors me but I figure after what I have already been through and all the restoration we have ahead of us we should name it. So, other than saying my house is called ____, how do you get your house to be "known" by it's name? The house is on the National Register because it sits in a historic district, wonder if I can name it? I have come up with the name "Twinne Celyn" which translates to Thomas and Holly and after I plant two Holly trees in the front it will have a double meaning. Am I being totally pretentious ?

According to real estate agents the right house name can help sell a house. Surveys indicate that people are prepared to pay more for a home that has a name. There are many things to consider when choosing a name for your house or property:

a) Many people name their houses with a reference to the style of house or property, or possibly the former use of the house
b) If there is something unique or distinctive about the location of your house, consider that as a starting point for a house name
c) Try mis-selling something you'd like to say about your house, and see if visitors to your home
d) Translating your ideas into a foreign language can give your house name a nice little extra touch
e) Consider using the name of a flower or tree you have in your garden as the basis of your house name

See more: http://www.danthoniadesigns.com/resourc ... names.html
JoeRomero

Postby LauraHO on Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:12 am

We call ours "Mi casa" - just a little bit of fun :)
LauraHO

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum