dcsimg

Plastic Polymers Study

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Plastic Polymers Study

Postby oldhouseluvr on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:32 pm

This study showed up in a professional journal that I read regularly. I thought it was interesting enough to share here. Makes me wonder what the future holds in terms of regulation for the manufacture and disposal of vinyl windows and exterior siding. Probably nothing that I'll see in my lifetime.

"Environmental and health hazard ranking and assessment of plastic polymers based on chemical composition."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21663944?dopt=Abstract
oldhouseluvr

Re: Plastic Polymers Study

Postby rodpaine on Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:43 am

I recall reading something about the large number of poorly made failed replacement vinyl windows in the UK and the concern they are causing, trying to properly dispose of them. Looks like they are already a present issue in the UK.
rodpaine

Postby Texas_Ranger on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:27 am

Here late 70s and early 80s vinyl windows get replaced on a regular basis ("Not energy efficient enough any more!") but I never heard of any issues with disposal... they just disappear in a landfill I suppose. (Yes, vinyl windows of that era sometimes reach that age, even though tey're usually a bear to open and close at that age, I know 1994 vinyl casements that have to be slammed shut with brute force and 1987 vinyl casements that threaten to fall out of the frames). The glass itself seems to be decent quality though, I see very very few fogged units. We'll see how long current €69.99 hardware store specials are going to last though... (for comparison: a carpenter-made wooden casement window with single pane glass and thermopane interior storms is €1500).
The bad thing with electricity : it almost always works.

http://whatapigsty.blogspot.com
Texas_Ranger

Postby oldhouseluvr on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:35 pm

I don't know how the cancer exposure is determined. In other words, is the risk greater during manufacturing or does one have to inhale or ingest fumes to be exposed? There may never be an issue with windows and siding, but I see what has happened here in the US with lead and asbestos and it occurs to me that PVC could be next. Sounds like the UK has already recognized the problem.
oldhouseluvr

Postby Texas_Ranger on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:13 am

The biggest problems with PVC are manufacturing, disposal/recycling and fires as far as I know. It's not recyclable to my knowledge, and if it burns the fumes get NASTY, Cl (the C in PVC) is not a nice chemical!
To some extent PVC products also gas off under normal conditions (mainly plasticizers).

Texas_Ranger

Postby jade mortimer on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

should be on the front page of every newpaper in the usa...alas, it won't be because there are still billions yet to be made by big business and their lobbyists...i've been saying for years (uh-oh, i sound like a politician!), pvc is the next lead/asbestos...the gubmit knows the dangers and is turning a blind eye to the problem...mark my words, pvc abatement will be the next new job market...creating jobs by creating dangerous materials...then we can blame it on china!

watch this documentary http://www.bluevinyl.org/ or do a search for 'the dangers of pvc.....

.....jade
jade mortimer

Postby senegal_jen on Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:48 pm

What would one use, though, for wasteline replacement if not PVC? Is cast iron any more environmentally responsible?

(says the girl who must replace her rusted cast iron pretty soon)...

Jen
senegal_jen

Postby Texas_Ranger on Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:32 pm

Weeelll... are US drain pipes actually PVC? There are quite a few different plastics they use to make drain pipes around the world, such as ABS or polypropylene. Polypropylene is one of the most harmless plastics as far as I know but somewhat unusual for drains - seems we only have that in Austria and Germany. No idea how toxic ABS is.

Cast iron shouldn't do anything bad inside your house, no matter what happens, but producing cast iron pipes probably takes a lot of energy... hard to tell what's better. Plastic drains are definitely noisier though.

Texas_Ranger

Postby triguy128 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:06 pm

senegal_jen wrote:What would one use, though, for wasteline replacement if not PVC? Is cast iron any more environmentally responsible?

(says the girl who must replace her rusted cast iron pretty soon)...

Jen

In our city, thanks to EPA manates for combined sewer system, they have torn out 120 year old cast iron pipes that still had likely another 100 years of service life. Nothing like having to borrowing tens of millions of dollars to tear out perfectly good infrastructure to avoid "polluting" a waterway with organic matter during major rain events... where said river is so large and so full of tons and tons of naturally occuring organic matter and the amount of raw sewage contamination that occurs can't even be measured by sampling. That makes sense.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Return to The Hangout Forum