dcsimg

Sad

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Sad

Postby sooth on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:32 pm

I just happened to walk by a house coming back from the bank and now I'm depressed. It's actually a duplex, and from the details it looks like it was built around the same time as my house (1920s). It has a sort of cinder block type exterior (not particularly nice) but what was nice was that peeking in the windows in the evenings, I could see glimpses of peautiful old mouldings similar to mine.

Well when I went by, there's a big dumpster on the one side, and all I could see was a complete mess (and exposed studs) on the inside.

WHY? What was possibly so bad that they ripped out all the gorgeous old millwork? All that nice moulding (as well as the door jambs and ball-tip hinges still attached) are now in the trash.

I plan to go by again tomorrow and ask if they mind if I dumpster dive a bit for anything useable. I'm wondering if they're scrapping the doors also (I didn't see them anywhere).

A real shame.

Edit: This is especially maddening since I just spent HOURS the other day making custom matched moulding to replace the stuff that my house is missing. Not to mention the COST (I'm not even sure of the price yet, but it will definitely be around 2$ a foot or more and I'm getting it at just the cost of the wood, shop made for a client would likely be 5-10$ a foot and I needed over 100 feet just to replace SOME of the missing moulding).

What's also worst is that I'm SURE that they're going to put in that shitty 1/4" thick MDF garbage from the hardware store.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Re: Sad

Postby SkipW on Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:54 pm

When are we going to realize that old houses just aren't cool, and we're wasting our time because nobody's going to want them when we're done???????

That really is a shame and I hope you can salvage some nice materials from the tearout......

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby sooth on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:34 pm

I didn't mention it specifically, but the trim is painted white, and isn't a match to mine, so I might just grab a few pieces for reuse in cabinet making, etc. I'm hoping there might be some door hardware or doors though. It looked like they were tearing out everything on both floors (on that half of the duplex).
JC
1923 Foursquare
sooth

Postby JRC on Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:56 pm

If it's a duplex, the property owner is probably just interested in $$$$, and not getting sued by tenants who would claim that there is lead paint on the woodwork.

Most tenants probably wouldn't care if there might be lead paint. But some know the landlord/tenant "game." And, turning the landlord into the local health department might be a good way to get back at them for having the nerve to tell you your rent is past due. So, when it's an investment property, it's just easier to eliminate this trap before the "game" begins.
JRC

Postby KristenS on Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:37 pm

Ok...here I go outing myself as a complete nut... BUT:

If we, as a culture, stopped seeing land ownership as a way to make money, maybe this might not happen so much. Wouldn't it be great if everyone could afford to own their own home? And be in charge of the decisions made about their home? Then we could stop having landlord/tenant disputes all together.

And what if one could buy a home for a reasonable price? Like, maybe, six months salary? And then sell it for that same amount. Houses would be maintained because we like living in maintained houses. Not because we need to cheaply update them so we can sell them for more to make up for the absurd interest we've been paying on an enormous mortgage that's more than 300% of our salary!

Yeah, ok, I'm nuts. But I think I'm on to something. ;)
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!
KristenS

Postby Lynners on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:53 pm

I'm gonna one-up ya, Sooth!

There was a cute clapboard Ontario Vernacular on a road that I drive fairly regularly. I enjoyed seeing it whenever I drove by.

Well, I drove by last week, and in it's place is a mini- mcmansion in progress, and all that's left of the cute little vernacular is a pile of horse hair plaster and lath. No sign of doors, trim, etc. I couldn't believe it, and thought for sure I'd just missed it somehow....

Sigh. People stink.
The Carson Farmhouse, 1899
Minesing, Ontario, Canada
http://www.firsthomedreams.com
Lynners

Postby sooth on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:07 am

Indeed "people stink".

And just to add to the misery of this thread, here's a photo of the building discussed. Note that it also has all the original 3 over 1 windows, which I'm almost sure will be scrapped also. The left side is the one with the big dumpster, but there's also a "No Trespassing" sign on the right side door, so they might be gutting the entire building.

Like I said earlier, the outside is nothing special (nice cornice though) but the interior had wonderful old details.

I had wanted to dumpster dive for some of the old door crowns, but now they're under a pile of drywall, and I don't know if I want to bother. I might go back again and ask if he kept the doors, etc.
JC
1923 Foursquare
sooth

Postby sooth on Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 pm

Man the hits just keep coming as far as this house is concerned. I passed by again this afternoon, and there was a young man there tossing more drywall into the dumpster from a second story window. So I asked him what he did/was doing with the doors. His reply: They were up against the side of the house for over a week, and then they went to the garbage since no one took them.

... now where's that crying emoticon.

;_;
JC
1923 Foursquare
sooth

Postby Fanner on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:06 am

Aaaack! That is a bummer sooth :evil: There is a home under "rehab" down the street from us... the first thing they did was replace the front door - which had been a simple but appropriate and lovely wood door with 4 lights... I will have to get a picture to show the ridiculous "new" door they put on. I have been swarming there day and night to see if they pull out the original windows - so far they have not. If they did I would grab a few for replacement glazing on my future widow projects... it is sickening to watch :(
1904 Victorian :)
Fanner

Postby angolito on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:41 am

its hard to know how to feel about the italianate up the street from me. it sat empty with progressively degrading problems for 5 years at least. yesterday i saw them there ripping out all the original windows. at the point the people got the house it was ready for tear down, so i HATE the windows but am happy not to see it falling down all together.

i hope it is an owner occupant.
angolito

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum