dcsimg

Sad

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Sad

Postby Civil War Seamstress on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:51 am

Same thing happened to an old time farm around us in Abington, MA. Poricky's farm. The carpenter working on the house said that 2 rooms went back to the 1750's and the rest of house was added on in later years but long ago enough that it is all historic. Shaped like a gambrel cape. Anyway the house due to Mr. P's age was in rough shape for a good 15 years. When Mr. P died 2 years ago it was left to sit for a year even with an open window in the first floor to let in all the snow and rain last year. So when the carpenter started on the house, off came the side porch, out went the windows, off came all the old doors and out went all the plaster and wood work. The house is saved, but as much as I am happy it didn't meet the wrecking ball it isn't the same.

Now on Route 139 my oil man bought a 1730's cape and restored it by reglazing the antique windows, put on a new wooden shingle roof, replaced flooring with salvaged wood flooring, repaired the wooden front door etc. It looks as you would have imagined 200 or more years ago but in pristine shape.

Two historic properties saved, but only one was done the right way.
"If everything is coming your way....you're in the Wrong Lane!"

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/
Civil War Seamstress

Postby utopia13 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm feeling your pain! There is a place down the street from me that's got to be late 1800's. Beautiful wrap around porch...but at ground level. Also nearly floor to ceiling 2 over 2"s with working shutters intact!

Not any more. Now it's got the butt ugly 4' high railing all the way around (for WHAT, God only knows!) and all the shutters & windows are gone & replaced with vinyl nastiness.

Oh...this house is smack dab in the center of the Historical District!!!!! :evil:

This just ticks me off so freakin bad I could scream!
This site has been ruined by spam. All regular forum members have moved to http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/
Come join us!!!

ca 1916 Craftsman Bungalow
utopia13

Postby sooth on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:07 pm

Well, a very SMALL consolation for me was that on a more recent walk-by, they had another door at the road, and it's just a plain 2 panel. Still a GREAT door, but not the style I want. I could have made something cool with them if I would have gotten a whole bunch, but oh well.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby SkipW on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:35 pm

I have three doors above the garage that I am just waiting to do something with. They were salvaged from a house from the 40's that was built around an old log cabin and then the cabin walls were removed....really!!

Two are exterior doors with glass top half and three panels below and one 5 panel interior.

Waiiting...

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right. - - - Henry Ford
SkipW

Postby sooth on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:25 pm

I suppose I should just keep updating the "progress" of this poor house. I went by it this afternoon, and was not surprised to see that they had indeed changed all the original 3 over 1 windows with modern vinyl ones. It also looks as though they have finished gutting the place (they were 80% done the last time I went by).

Check out my "It's not always bad news" thread for a bit of a pick-me-up. :?
JC
1923 Foursquare
sooth

Postby sooth on Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:23 pm

I walked by again (I always pass by the house when possible) and noticed a bunch of the original hardwood floors in the dumpster. I can see a bunch of new 2x4s in a bunch of places but it doesn't look like they've done much progress in the past few months. There's still no drywall anywhere.
JC
1923 Foursquare
sooth

Postby shizzy on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:50 am

looking at the picture you posted, are you sure it is not a four plex? If that is the case, then the new owner/landlord is only going to see it as an income property. Sadly, many landlords do not understand the value in the "old world charm" and the increased rent that can be asked of these places. With increased dollar per sq ft rent amounts you tend to weed out the lousy renters. when I was looking to buy my house (was looking at duplexes) I noticed the rent amounts varied from $600 a month to $1400 a month for the same square footage depending on the house. guess which ones commanded the higher dollar figure? Yup, original unmolested houses.

I'm not sure about your area, but here in Minneapolis there are quite a few young professionals who will pay a premium for a rental with "old world charm"
shizzy

Postby triguy128 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:57 pm

So to summarize... why would you in terms of an investment, take something unique and tear out all the uniqueness and make it "dime a dozen". Basically devaluing the property.

I think the anology i heard before was taking a classic Ferrari, but declaring that it's wonderful V12 engine by modern standard is too inefficient, carbeurated, and only makes 200HP... and requires too much maintenance. Also, the old manual transmission is too tedious to shift in traffic So you toss the engine and throw in a Toyota 3.5L V6 with 6 speed automatic. Now it gets great mileage, plenty of power and has an automatic. Of course it sounds like a wet fart, has no personality and the entire car feels unbalanced and the othe drivetrain components can't tolerate the strain.

It really is amazing on replacement windows stick out like warts on older homes. I just wish owners could see that.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby triguy128 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:00 pm

KathyRRozier wrote:Current increases in mortgage rates combined with rising house prices

That is incorrect. Mortgage rates have dropped dramatically in the last 4 years. Houseing prices have fallen in most areas. But demand for rentals has increased because of difficulty in obtaining mortgages and the number of people that have defaulted or been forclosed on since they got over their heads or lost their jobs.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby KristenS on Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Don't bother, triguy, s/he's just a spammer.

Already been reported, and looks like s/he's been bumped out of the forums. YAY!
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!
KristenS

PreviousNext

Return to The Hangout Forum