dcsimg

Post Hole Digger - need a crash course

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Post Hole Digger - need a crash course

Postby catya on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:53 am

How do those post hole augurs work - the kind you can rent. Can they be adjusted to ensure a perfectly level and perpendicular (not leaning over) post hole? Im finding rental info and pictures - but no real info about how they work, and whether these things are worth renting.
catya

Re: Post Hole Digger - need a crash course

Postby sooth on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:26 pm

Well, generally, it's not so critical that the hole is perfectly level, depending what you're doing. Usually these are used to dig a hole to put-in a sono-tube, in which you place your post (like a clothesline, fence post/etc) and the interior of the tube is filled with concrete/cement. It's at THIS point where you want to make sure your post is perfectly level. You usually have quite a lot of "wiggle room" to level your post.

If you're using the cork screw kind, be sure to only go down a little at a time, and then pull-out the dirt, otherwise you will screw the entire thing into the ground and it will be a nightmare to get it back out after. My dad's friend ended up doing this.

I have also seen a type of digger that is like two scooped shovels with long handles.
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby KristenS on Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:49 pm

sooth wrote:I have also seen a type of digger that is like two scooped shovels with long handles.

[in my best Kaylee voice]
"That's a post holer. You dig holes. For posts."
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!
KristenS

Postby sooth on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:53 pm

Sorry, I'm sure that's meant to be funny and clever, but I don't get the reference. :(
JC
1923 Foursquare
Clockmaker, & Old House Enthusiast
http://my1923foursquare.blogspot.com/
sooth

Postby KristenS on Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:26 am

It's from Firefly. An awesome tv show that lived too short a life.
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!
KristenS

Postby angolito on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:49 pm

its much harder to use one of those things if you are a short person! once you get the screw started into the ground the most work is actually lifting against it to let the auger clear the dirt from the hole. how many holes do you need to dig and what is your soil like?

i saw someone drill one into the ground once. it was not a pretty sight.
angolito

Postby Abuela on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:09 am

The instructions will tell you to never, ever, EVER try to get the auger unstuck by continuing to dig it in further. Listen to the instructions. Respect the instructions. It's not a drill that you can get unstuck by wiggling it around as you run it. Don't end up like my spouse's two coworkers who are both very large manly men (and who were trying to out-macho each other as they helped us put in fence posts when we bought this house) who firmly believed that the instructions didn't apply to them, and who ended up having to dig the auger out from about 5' deep.
"Finished" is all a state of mind. ~Angolito

People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

My house journal: http://retrovation.blogspot.com/
Abuela

Postby jeepnstein on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:18 am

I find the clam shell diggers easier to use if you're just doing a dozen or so four inch or less posts. The powered augers are a beast and probably more trouble than they're worth for most uses.
"Pure Stinking Genius, that's what that is. Hey, can someone get me a fire extinguisher?"
jeepnstein

Postby Don M on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:27 pm

If your ground is relatively soft with out a lot of rocks & roots the non-powered post hole digger works just fine. I rented a power one that was mounted on an arm with the power unit on wheels. It worked very well & was much less work than using the two person model. Better yet is a power auger mounted on a tractor with hydraulic lift but that's for major work.
1840 Limestone Farmhouse
Don M

Postby angolito on Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:59 pm

Don M wrote:If your ground is relatively soft with out a lot of rocks & roots the non-powered post hole digger works just fine. I rented a power one that was mounted on an arm with the power unit on wheels. It worked very well & was much less work than using the two person model. Better yet is a power auger mounted on a tractor with hydraulic lift but that's for major work.

the power auger / tractor is on a par with the farkle snorker!!!!!! ( or whatever he calls the cherry picker!!!)
angolito

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum