dcsimg

Grandpa's meat grinder plus sunbeam mixmaster

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Grandpa's meat grinder plus sunbeam mixmaster

Postby pqtex on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:41 pm

I asked my mother if I could have her old meat grinder. When I got the box out, there were two meat grinders. One was my Grandpa's huge old table-clamped, hand-cranked meat grinder (cast iron, I think, and well-used). It has lots and lots of different cutting plates, and is probably close to a hundred years old. My brother has their old kitchen table and said it still has the marks on it from where the grinder clamped on. For a minute or two I thought he was going to want it himself! I'm pretty sure it will work just fine, and I intend to put it to use. I like USING my family items that have been passed down. I remember watching Grandpa grind meat in the kitchen.

The other grinder (with sausage maker) is the attachment from her 1950's Sunbeam Mixmaster (which she no longer has). Most folks buy attachments for their mixers. I want to buy a mixer for my attachment! :)
Last edited by pqtex on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Re: Grandpa's meat grinder plus sunbeam mixmaster

Postby oldhouseluvr on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:44 pm

LOL about the mixer. I'm sure they are available on ebay or Craig's List. In the meantime, I would like three lbs of meatloaf, please!

PS - maybe you should ask your brother for the table back, since it goes with your meat grinder. :mrgreen:
oldhouseluvr

Postby pqtex on Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:48 pm

oldhouseluvr wrote:LOL about the mixer. I'm sure they are available on ebay or Craig's List. In the meantime, I would like three lbs of meatloaf, please!

PS - maybe you should ask your brother for the table back, since it goes with your meat grinder. :mrgreen:

I've seen the mixmasters from time to time at flea markets and antique stores, usually less than $50. I've just never acted on the desire to have one. I have a strong suspicion I would like it much more than my Kitchen Aid (which splatters stuff everywere if turned on higher than low, even with the shield) and I know I would like it better than my 70's Oster food center in harvest gold.

PS I would LOVE to have that table! Unfortunately, he has had it for many years, and I'm pretty sure it would start something if I tried to get it now! :lol:
Last edited by pqtex on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby lisascenic on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:20 am

Mixmaster, huh? I just got a pink one on craigslist.

http://howsrobb.blogspot.com/2011/06/ba ... tchen.html

lisascenic

Postby pqtex on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:03 am

lisascenic wrote:Mixmaster, huh? I just got a pink one on craigslist.

http://howsrobb.blogspot.com/2011/06/ba ... tchen.html

Since you're a vegetarian, I guess you don't need a meat grinder/sausage maker attachment! lol :)

pqtex

Postby lisascenic on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:54 am

I think grinders would be great for jams. But, no, I won't be stuffing sausage casing anytime soon!
lisascenic

Postby artfox on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:07 pm

That's the same model Mixmaster I inherited from my mother, only mine is basic white and has the original white glass bowls. It was a replacement for her first Mixmaster that she got right after WWII -- that one was literally worn out from frequent use.

The only thing I don't like about my Mixmaster is its inability to mix stiff dough for fruitcakes, sweet rolls, etc. -- it just doesn't have enough power or a dough hook like the Kitchenaid mixers.
artfox

Postby pqtex on Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:49 pm

Lisa and Artfox made me curious about what colors the Sunbeam Mixmaster came in. A quick ebay search showed me a green one listed as a rare early electric model with wood handle, with uranium green depression glass bowl. Ad states "jadeite bowl glows brilliantly under blacklight" and it sold for $368. :shock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retro-Sunbeam-M ... 2a13d7026a
Attachments
green mixmaster.jpg
green mixmaster.jpg (25.44 KiB) Viewed 11184 times

pqtex

Postby artfox on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:24 pm

Wow -- that green Mixmaster is the oldest one I've seen -- it definitely would be an Object of Desire for people who collect either vintage kitchen appliances or Jadeite.

There was a shiny chrome model produced in he 1980's or so, but I don't recall any other colors.

Oddly enough, the elderly professor who taught my undergraduate Industrial Design course had been on the design team for the first streamlined rocket-shaped Mixmasters that came out after WWII ended.
artfox

Postby pqtex on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:16 pm

Here's an interesting website with a lot of history of the different mixmaster models, including debut date, colors, and attachments. There are 13-14 pages to scroll through. The first Mixmaster was sold commercially in 1930 (ivory with jadeite bowl). I learned that Lisa's pink model made its debut in 1950. I also learned that the green model that sold on ebay with the jadeite bowl isn't the original color (also indicated as a possibility in the ebay ad). Near the end of all the mixmaster pages are links to sites for other vintage appliances (didn't go there, so don't know anything about them). I had absolutely no idea how many attachments were made and sold. Many are very, very hard to find.

Of course, now that I've seen all of this information, I am totally confused as to which Mixmaster model is the one I would want to purchase!

http://www.angelfire.com/home/flexibles ... beam1.html )
Last edited by pqtex on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

pqtex

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum