dcsimg

Grandpa's meat grinder plus sunbeam mixmaster

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Grandpa's meat grinder plus sunbeam mixmaster

Postby airgrabber on Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:18 am

I have a 1956 Model 11 with juicer and two Fire King mixing bowls...bought at the Berlin Farmer's Market for less than $5. And it works. They are out there, just get out to some yard sales!

I am also admin of the group "Fans of the Classic Sunbeam Mixmaster" on Facebook! :mrgreen:
Three may keep a secret, if two are dead.
Circa 1921 Dutch Colonial Revival
airgrabber

Postby Fanner on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:03 am

Now I want a mix-master :mrgreen: I'm pretty sure we had one like the pink one - only white. The control on the back looks familiar... I'll have to find out if mom still has it tucked away somewhere and "put my name on it" :twisted: Will your table accomodate the clamp on grinder? Or do you now *have to* buy a nice sturdy table for it? Finally, when are you going to start taking orders? It's October brat season and I need to stock up :wink:
1904 Victorian :)
Fanner

Postby James on Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:49 pm

I have two of those old Sunbeam Mixmasters, with one set of original white bowls between them, and the juicer. Plus a late 40's Dorfmyer mixer with BOTH the juicer and the meat grinder and the original bowls that was supposed to be the cream de la cream of mixers, at least according to an elderly friend of mine who is still using the one they bought years before I was even born. All bought at auctions and local junk shops for a total investment of no more $30. Definitely better than spending $300 to buy a new one.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby Alexander on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:56 pm

My mother who is 84 has her mothers grinder that clamps onto the table and her current kitchen table ( oak from the 1906 Sears wish book) had the two marks all over the edge where it was clamped on. She still used it for things like egg salad and ham salad and making things like green tomato relish. Hers has about 4 attachments. I also remember her grinding deer meat into Mincemeat. You will love using it, the feel of the worn wooden handle in your hand and the way it grinds things so nicely and you can control it so much easier then a machine you hit a button then have mush.

Now you just need to watch for a cherry seeder and an apple peeler. Oh and don't forget the nutmeg grater - fresh nutmeg is like nothing else. The simplicity of these gadgets is wonderful and they are so well made.

Enjoy ............Alexander
Alexander

Postby Fanner on Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:54 pm

I wasn't sure if I should put this under the Craigslist posting or here ~ so I will do both! This is painfully tempting for $50...

http://lacrosse.craigslist.org/atq/2620015017.html
1904 Victorian :)
Fanner

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum