antique bed...

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

antique bed...

Postby pqtex on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:44 am

My grandmother bought this bed in 1939 for my father. Money had been tight during the depression, and my grandparents had moved their family back home with my grandmother's parents, which is now my home. By 1939, things were getting better and my grandfather was beginning to prosper again. My grandmother had saved a little money and surprised my father and his sister with brand new bedroom sets. It got passed to me as a toddler. When I was 8, I was given my great grandparents' 4 poster bed, which I still have, and this one was moved to my parents' camphouse, where it spent the next 50 years. It came "home" today. I'm not going to refinish it other than clean it up a bit. It needs some corner bracing and some work where the side rails hook into the headboard and footboard, but it's sturdy enough. It's now in my guest room and I think it's a good fit with my house. My house just feels happier. :D
Attachments
daddy bed (640x560).jpg
daddy bed (640x560).jpg (90.75 KiB) Viewed 5864 times
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Re: antique bed...

Postby lisascenic on Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:58 am

Beautiful!
lisascenic

Postby Josiecat on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:02 am

Wow, you are lucky to have such a special piece.
The Wellcome House
1892 Queen Anne Victorian
Topeka, Kansas
Josiecat

Postby pqtex on Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:28 pm

Josiecat wrote:Wow, you are lucky to have such a special piece.

I'm really happy to get Daddy's bed, but my great-grandparents' bed is my most treasured material possession.
mamoo bed.jpg
mamoo bed.jpg (33.81 KiB) Viewed 5807 times
This bed is the one I have slept in since I was 8 years old. I have anecdotes written by a cousin who says my great-grandfather used to put his hat on one of the posts each night. I've been told my great-grandfather bought the bed and some other furniture as a wedding present for my great-grandmother. Although it isn't on the bed, I even have the bedspread that Mamoo's three daughters crocheted for her 80th birthday (before I was born). I don't display it on the bed because my cats often sleep on the bed.

I'm really happy to have both of these family pieces, but it just seems extra special to have them back in the home where they came from originally!
My great-grandparents' 1913 farmhouse

Too bad the spam got so bad. Some of us have been spending time at the new community for folks with a love of old houses at wavyglass.org
pqtex

Postby PowerMuffin on Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Wow! You are so lucky and you are right, your house is happier!
Diane
PowerMuffin

Postby S Melissa on Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:36 pm

Your new spool bed brought back memories for me! My grandparents had just such a bed - probably the same story as well! Looks lovely. How nice to have such pretty things continuing down the family lineage!
Melissa
Canton, MI
1860 Italianate - Reuben Huston Home
S Melissa

Return to The Hangout Forum