dcsimg

Pretty pics of houses other than ours

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Pretty pics of houses other than ours

Postby melissakd on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:34 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/la_addict/408379739/

This is not my house. I didn't even take the picture, so I didn't feel right posting it in the Picture Forum, but my stars, will you look at that.

If you have any drool-worthy photos of stuff that you didn't do, but it's still fabulous, please share, as I feel kind of silly starting an entire thread just for this.

MKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Re: Pretty pics of houses other than ours

Postby jwesevich on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:40 pm

Yikes...that makes my place look like a double-wide...

jeff
Emma F. Brown House 1897
Model for: Barber's "Modern Dwellings" Catalog 27E
"Vinyl is just a fancy name for Plastic"
jwesevich

Postby PowerMuffin on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:37 am

Wow, wow, wow! The trimwork is incredible! I've never seen the (spinning) top-like things on either side of the window. She is a beauty.
Diane
PowerMuffin

Postby Josiecat on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:03 pm

:shock:
The Wellcome House
1892 Queen Anne Victorian
Topeka, Kansas
Josiecat

Postby melissakd on Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:04 pm

I myself am particularly knocked out by the little balconette---or whatever it's called---it's shaped like a turnip and pleated like a skirt---I can't begin to describe it using architectural terms.

MKD
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby Eden on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:41 pm

Now darn it Melissa!!! I'm a visual addict, I'm getting ready to leave work w/no computer @home, sob...

Your description is perfect, it would be great to sit on the turnip and watch the world go by.
Edee
OHW Member since 1999

1912 Gordon-Van Tine House Plan #122
"Be The Change You Want to see in the World," Ghandi
Eden

Postby oldhouseluvr on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:49 pm

Leave room on the turnip for me! This is why I love old houses - they are sooo interesting. I don't recall seeing any new construction where the use of shingling and appliques and other applied details is so well crafted and striking.

I collect photo albums of old houses, mostly victorians, and created a facebook page to share them. Here's a link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Old-Houses/237137529647541. The page name is "Old Houses".

And just in case anyone is offended that I am posting a link, initially I was going to share these albums here on the Pictures forum, but the process of adding pics is so difficult and time-consuming that I gave up and used FB instead.
oldhouseluvr

Postby melissakd on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:21 pm

You've reminded me of my manners. I just want to mention that I post links because you can't post the actual photos from Flickr, but that site is so fantastic I refuse to quit using it.

OHL, I had a look at the 1837 Mississippi plantation (surely they're not selling that for people to live in?!?! It looks like a house museum!) and then was stopped in my tracks by Bella and Rayman's midcentury former dump. I actually had to go back and see if those were the same kitchen cabinets. Wow. Wow. That's what I call professional decorating. Wow.

MelissaKD
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Postby oldhouseluvr on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:58 pm

Melissa - Bella and Rayman are members here but haven't posted pics of their new house yet. You may remember Pecan Place in Trenton, TN, their former home. They really have a knack for bringing out the best in a house. As soon as I have some time to go find them, I will get pics of Pecan Place to add to my FB page.

And I'm relieved you aren't upset about me posting that link. I wasn't trying to hijack your thread or anything. Just sharing more eye candy. :mrgreen:
oldhouseluvr

Postby melissakd on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:53 am

I remembered that Christie is a designer, and was properly impressed by what she was able to do with a tract house, even some of the existing and not-necessarily-inspiring things like the blue and white wallpaper. Of course I'm happy to have more houses shown off here. I only wish I had days and days to drool over your whole Facebook collection. I see why you didn't post the photos here if the process is troublesome---there must be dozens and dozens. Dozens and dozens of succulent, juicy photos of old houses........

MKD
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Return to The Hangout Forum