Criminal restoration?

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Criminal restoration?

Postby aptharsia on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:10 pm

I looked around to see if anyone else had posted this, if they have then my apologies. We should flood the mayor, the building department, city council with emails of support for this home owner. It's ridiculous what she is having to go through, just to restore an old home.

http://1914foursquare.blogspot.com/2011/09/historic-preservation-criminal-offense.html
aptharsia

Re: Criminal restoration?

Postby Sombreuil_Mongrel on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:38 am

Every story sounds good until you hear the other side. That's why there are judges. We have only been presented with one version. I am in no position to judge this on the merits.
Casey
Sombreuil_Mongrel

Postby triguy128 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:54 am

It seems like you may need a lawyers or at least start doing some legal research. You need to get a copy of the city ordinance pertaining to these violations and see how they are specifically worded. A good solution, for historic preservation, might be to get the ordinances ammended by the city council to work in your favor.

Do you get a building permit for the work? What do you have in writting from the prosecution? Do you have dates and times of meetings and conversations you had?

The media in this case might be in your favor.

I know in my area, the historic society is not well organized and has burnt their bridge with the city for failure to complete projects and keep promises. Code enforcement is forced to act.

Overall, it sounds like your city needs a nice fat budget cut. Too much red tape, right hand isn't talking to the left. We don't have enough inspectors to waste our time with those that are restoring or rennovating homes. We actually give those peopel tax abatements and are working on grants for improvements made for low income families.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby lisascenic on Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:01 am

I don't see how cutting city budgets would help this situation.
lisascenic

Postby triguy128 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:37 pm

lisascenic wrote:I don't see how cutting city budgets would help this situation.

The only reason they are able ot so thoroughly enfoce the code in such a black and white manner is because they have MORe than adequate staffing. If they had a tighter budget and leaner staff, they would only focus on the individuals that these codes are intended for, nuisance properties that are not being kept up, not a hoem that's under rennovation. Altough it sounds like its' about a 4 year plan to finally finish the exterior work. In some minds, that's too long.

When a city has resources to start pestering someone like the OP, clearly they are overstaffed...especially with the current economy and general sentiment on government waste.

Actually, I'm curious how large this town is in both population and land area/# houses. Our town gets by on what I suspect is 1/4th of the city budget of most cities our size. We're incredibly streamlined, and really understaffed in terms of infrastructure. We could do more in terms fo code enforcement, but I'd rather have more potholes filled and sewer lines jetted, than more tickets written to people that are too lazy ot cut their grass.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby angolito on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:32 pm

Hell if peeling paint was a reason for criminal action nearly every property owner in the city would be in jail here in Joetown.

I don't see this as a unidimensional story at all. This is clearly a case of government run amuk and a neighbor who I would have a restraining order against. I'll be calling and writing to the provided contacts and raising HELL. Thanks for posting this.
angolito

Postby JRC on Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:37 pm

I'm with Sombreuil_Mongrel, and would like to hear both sides of the story before I start writing letters.

Lakewood is an inner-ring suburb of Cleveland. (right next door, in fact) The city has a population of around 50,000, and a land area of 5.55 square miles. Here is their page on City-Data: http://www.city-data.com/city/Lakewood-Ohio.html
JRC

Postby James on Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:47 pm

Its stories like this one that make me glad I don't have any neighbors close enough to see what is going on at my house and so have little reason to complain. Not another house within sight from mine. Tho one little old lady driving by did stop while I was hauling hurricane debris out to the road to be picked up(which has yet to be done) to talk about the tree on the house. And at least one more stopped in the middle of the road to get a picture of the tree on the house.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby cadrad on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:40 pm

Why can't she strip prime and paint as she goes? Do one section and finish it before moving on to another area. Then everyone is happy. Seems kinda dumb and unsightly to strip the whole house at once, then paint it. I didn't see any part where her neighbors were giving her any trouble? I went back and reread it and it seems the neighbors are fine with it.
Steven R.
muskegon MI
Charles E. Johnson house
1916 prairie style
visit my new profile at http://www.wavyglass.org
cadrad

Postby melissakd on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:02 pm

cadrad wrote:I didn't see any part where her neighbors were giving her any trouble? I went back and reread it and it seems the neighbors are fine with it.

Solved the mystery. This is in the comment section:
"At the advice of some, I have removed the information about the long history of ongoing criminal harassment by the one neighbor who instigates all this. I could probably write a whole book on that alone. In reality, it is a separate legal issue and shouldn't matter in this case since this is really a matter between the city and I."

As to why she doesn't do one side at a time, she started by taking off aluminum siding, so I assumed it was just a mess all the way around. ???

Anyway, there's an update as of last Thursday (Oct. 20th), saying that she made a court appearance, showed photos of the progress since her last court date, and was continued until December.

MelissaKD
The Thaddeus W. Bayless House
Built between July 1863 and January 1865, major add/reno between 1890 and 1902
Style = Mutt
melissakd

Return to The Hangout Forum