dcsimg

Tiny church getting murdered. :-(

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Tiny church getting murdered. :-(

Postby KirstenN on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:51 pm

My husband and I put an offer in to buy this little white church on Manitoulin Island last summer. It was built of squared logs in 1893, then covered with clapboards probably in the 1920s. The road it's on is even called "Whitechurch Road". It had been beautifully restored inside with a pump organ, light fixtures, and panelling representing how it would have been in the 1920s, and used to be used for occasional music concerts. Our offer was refused and months later I saw a "sold" sign on it.
whitechurch.jpg
whitechurch.jpg (14.04 KiB) Viewed 7120 times

There have been no signs of life, and I saw it deteriorating quickly this summer. Then I finally saw scaffolding around it last week, and rejoiced that someone was cleaning it up. HOWEVER, some inquiries have shown that a neighbouring woman is turning it into a year-round gift shop/gallery. I saw something that looks suspiciously like Styrofoam insulation on top of the clapboards on one side of the church, which I am afraid means stucco or vinyl siding. I feared for the lovely old windows, so I emailed the new owner asking about salvage potential. She confirmed that she's replacing them with insulated windows but is going to "refurbish" them and "use them in the gallery".

I didn't buy it, so I keep telling myself I have no right to complain. But it is making me very sad, and you folks seemed like the only ones I could count on to commiserate!
Image Image Image
Our 1914 brick Toronto house; Our 1913 concrete island house; and the house I dream of owning, my husband's family's 1880-ish Toronto foursquare.
KirstenN

Re: Tiny church getting murdered. :-(

Postby KristenS on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:45 am

I feel your pain! Every day, in fact, when I walk down the streets of my town and see the same thing happening to every fifth house. In fact, here's what I wrote about it a few months ago:

The other day, my man and I were walking in our neighborhood. He noticed that someone had peeled back the aluminum siding on part of a 100+ year old house. He got a smile and said "See, Kristen, someone thinks like you. They're removing the aluminum siding to go back to the original house." I looked up, noticed it was only peeled back around an arched window in the attic, and sourly declared "They're probably just doing it to replace the gorgeous old window with vinyl."

My man scowled at me. But lo and behold, a week later we were walking down the same street, and that's just what they'd done.

Either I want to be rewarded with prize money every time I predict an ass-tastic move like that... or I want them to stop!
c. 1907 Shingle Victorian/Craftsman
House history still being researched!
KristenS

Postby triguy128 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:16 am

I just don't get it. Why spend all that money on new windows when some simpyl repainting and a set of storm windows for 1/3 the price makes more sense. You'd think as a business owner, you'd want to save money.

The world has just been so brainwashed into loving synthetic materials. it has it's place, and I'd still use it in new construction. But why slap it over the top of a historic home.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Postby shazapple on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:18 am

Hopefully by putting insulation on the outside they won't be destroying the inside. At least the building is being used and not left to rot.
shazapple

Postby KirstenN on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:41 am

Thanks Kristen! I know exactly the cringing feeling you're talking about.

What kills me is that there's another old schoolhouse or church (I can't tell what it was originally anymore) the exact same size less than ten minutes away, that has already been stuccoed and winterized and generally robbed of its windows and charm, and used as a gift shop. It's now sitting vacant. Why didn't she use it instead of ruining another building??? I don't know of any other churches or schoolhouses of that type that are still in nice condition anywhere on the island.

Kirsten
Image Image Image
Our 1914 brick Toronto house; Our 1913 concrete island house; and the house I dream of owning, my husband's family's 1880-ish Toronto foursquare.
KirstenN

Postby oldhouseluvr on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:35 pm

The irony is that when she opens she will probably tell people that she "saved" the building. Yeah, right! :evil: Some days I hate that I care.
oldhouseluvr

Postby James on Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:25 pm

For reasons that I have never understood, most folks just don't "GET IT" like those of us on here do. One of my nephews recently asked my sister what was deal with Uncle James and all the old stuff. Trust me, she understands me less than he does so I'm sure he didn't get much an answer from her. At least on here we do have a community that does get it.
Locust Quarter, circa 1770 Georgian Gambrel roofed cottage.
James

Postby KirstenN on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:27 pm

Oldhouseluvr, I am afraid you are right... and I will be afraid to set foot in there in case I say something to make an enemy! I could not honestly answer the question "don't you like how it turned out?". I've already been asked to contribute items to the gift shop (I'm a knitter and quilter) and I'm trying to dodge it.

James, at least I am fortunate that my brother gets it, even if my parents don't! My Dad convinced my brother to take a classic old kitchen stove to the dump when he first got his house. Fortunately little brother did some reading, made some decisions of his own, and he has done lovely things to his 1920s sort-of-Craftsman in Thunder Bay, Ontario. All the windows in this house he lovingly stripped, re-puttied, and reinstalled. So yes, James, I'm happy to have found this community that understands my "crazy", "impractical", "pointless" point of view. :lol:
Image Image Image
KirstenN

Postby catperson on Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:02 pm

Kristen, love your Mini Cooper! I would love to have one.
catperson

Postby angolito on Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:02 pm

You just inspired me to get my ass in gear and buy the poor house next door.
angolito

Next

Return to The Hangout Forum