Tiny church getting murdered. :-(

A meeting place for regulars to discuss the lighter side of old-houses.

Moderators: oldhouse, TinaB, Don M, Schag

Re: Tiny church getting murdered. :-(

Postby triguy128 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:46 pm

KirstenN wrote:I'm happy to have found this community that understands my "crazy", "impractical", "pointless" point of view. :lol:

I don't think there's anything impractical about rennovation. In most cases your spending less money to repair, restor or salvage materials. Ther's more potential for increasing the property value of a old home than a new home.

Windows jsut drive me nuts. In my house it would cost nearly $30k for good repalcement windows. How is that more practcal than $5-6k for adding strom windows and spending $1000/year for the next 15 years to fully restore 2-3 windows at a time fo the next 12-15 years... and then hve windows that look better, operate better, are jsut as efficient if not more and will last another 50+years before needing to be restored again.

Its' a little like replacing a incandescent light bulb with a LED when its' a fixture that gets used maybe 100 hours each year. The payback perido is something like 100 years in that situation.
1925 Neo-Classical

Previous home - 1968 single story Ranch/Colonial, 1200sqft - 11 windows
Current home - 1925 2 story Beaux Arts Neo-classical overlooking the Mississippi River, 3200sqft - 48 Windows
triguy128

Re: Tiny church getting murdered. :-(

Postby PowerMuffin on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:26 pm

I think that when you have more money than time, it is easier to make the decision just to hire someone to "fix" stuff, which usually means rip out the old and put in the new. But when you have seriously limited funds, you can't go this route which forces you to be more creative and to use the materials you have on hand.

We used to have lots of money, and I did hire people to work on our then 1970s home. I never was thrilled by their work though so I started doing things myself. I learned new skills and was quite proud of my jobs. I got great satisfaction from doing the work myself. When we bought the old house, we were not in the same financial position so I had to take my time when fixing things. Because of this I didn't charge into projects, I took a very reflective approach, did my research, and was amazed that my opinions about how I would approach a job seemed to change.

There is something to be said for being broke! :lol:
Diane
PowerMuffin

Previous

Return to The Hangout Forum